Alternative VCL to DuPont AirGuard Control

Constantine

Be a bit careful, we went through this in our design and are about to go through it on our build. Using vapour barriers as the air tight layer - EG sheets of polythene is a risky option as it does not allow any vapour to pass through thus making it more likely that moisture can build up in the wall fabric. Hence your architect has specified a VCL as the air tight layer on the inside of the walls. Naturally on the outside you will have a breather membrane as a secondary water protection layer behind the tiles / cladding. As I understand it, others are more knowledgeable, the breather must be more permeable to moisture than the VCL so as to drive moisture out but it must be possible, when the conditions are right, for vapour to pass through the VCL back into the building - usually in the summer. 

10 hours ago, A_L said:

Here is an alternative with about the same vapour resistance.

https://novia.co.uk/vapour-control-layers/vc2-avcl

We used this on the Garden room part of our build in Whitstable, easy to use and relatively cheap (£70 per roll +VAT). Following your prod @Constantine I will revisit our wall / roof build up as I have noticed that the breather (not the VCL) is after, on the way from inside to out, the main insulation but before the metalised PU. 

Edited by MikeSharp01