ICF Roof sealing Strategy

Hi There,

the Roof has just being put on my building, the builder has managed to sit the roof about 10mm above the side walls, the Top and bottom are squeezed tight. This was to allow him adjustment on the timber Purlins and wallplates.

He says foam will fill the 10-15mm gap at the end, that covers the ICF wall, 50mm internal insulation, 150mm concrete and 100mm external insulation.

I'd like to get some thoughts from buildhub as opposed to the builder, as I don't think 'Just foam it up' is an airtight strategy :(  I'll have to go over the internal seam with some Liquid membrane like Triton TT or something.

Thanks for your thoughts.

IMAG3122.jpg?raw=1

IMAG3123.jpg?raw=1

I would have thought that even if that gap was non existent you would still need to air seal it, it would never be air tight no matter how tight, so applying a tape or liquid will always be needed. 

I presume you will be putting a batten on the ceiling to take the ceiling finish, so this gap will end up in the void area, I would fill it with a 10mm strip of insulation then foam the life out of it then liquid seal it. 

Looks like a nice complete system. 

I have been using the triton tt, and for the sake of a tub full I would be sealing all those edges. 

Edited by Russell griffiths

Thanks @Russell griffiths , yes the roof panel is 250mm thick, I have lot's of off cuts of the roof material, that's a good idea, I'll see if I can get enough big bits to cram in there. 

I'm not sure about the longevity of foam, I've seen low quality foam just shrink and fall out of pipes, The foam they were using  was called Insta Stick. I've gone around the outside and Tech7/CT1 'd the little cracks where the roof insulation seals with the wall insulation, Top and bottom (Probably overkill but it gives me the warm fuzzy feeling inside) , I'll do the outside once this is sealed.

Edited by magnethead

Tec7 MS Polymer is what the manufacturer recommended.....expensive as hell!!  That's the glue gun option. It is hardy stuff, I've used is years ago (6 years) on a cracked concrete window sill and it's still holding strong.

I was speaking to the Triton TT rep and he says (as he would) the black stuff has great adhesion to EPS! I saw a whole house covered in it up north

I picked up some extra pots from this sound lad!

IMG-20190523-WA0009.jpg?raw=1

Edited by magnethead
time addition comment

Just now, magnethead said:

@Conor It all comes from the one manufacturer , called Thermohouse, they do the Roof, floors and walls. All the tech details are on their website

Cheers, that's what I'm looking at as well. Just need to cost the roof panels up and compare against kingspan and others. If you happen to know a rough cost per m² please drop me a PM.

6 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Hi mr @magnethead what sort of dough you paying for the triton, I think I paid about £150 plus vat per 20kg bucket. 

I was considering painting the whole area under the timber cladding. 

Well we're the worst consumers in the world here in Ireland, so it's €300 a tub (basically everything is double or triple the price of anywhere else), in northern Ireland the price is £150 plus VAT, I got it for a £140 and no VAT because the guy had plenty to spare....Special note when using TT, on ICF, it's goes waaaaaay further then the manufacturer says, that's why he got caught with so much extra :) Something to do with the clean finish on ICF

Edited by magnethead
  • Like 1