Timber Walls connecting to top of Block&Beam Floor/screed

Patrick

Maybe someone can help me understand this a bit better, as I haven t seen any drawings that make sense by manufacturers. Or maybe I am just too thick to understand.

I am building Timber Frame(i-beams)_ with timber Cladding on top of a Insulated Block and Beam Floor.

Most of the Block and Beam Insualtion Systems have manuals of how to lay them out.

But they all just explain for timber frame with cavity and Brick Cladding/ Render to the outs ide.  (See PIC 2)

1895339734_ExampleSuspendedTimberFloor2.thumb.jpg.add59f80730db5d93e42c504b6d625d4.jpg

The entire setup is fairly similar with all the manufacturers , it is something like this:

1599830297_ExampleSuspendedTimberFloor.thumb.jpg.a815d2688b8bbbcc7318b67f486239a2.jpg

So If I want to put I-Beam Walls on top of this, should I put them over the cavity , a bit like this:

1752592825_Screenshot2019-09-06at14_47_29.thumb.png.d3ba39997a3df7bfa9dd998951178fc3.png

Or could i not make the entire Foundation like a Platform with Screed going all the way to the outer skin of the wall in order to build from this platform

(a bit more like you would do with a suspended timber floor) Hope this makes sense. But in PIC 3 is a short description of load bearing walls and my understanding is, that they have to sit on top of Bricks/Blocks not on top of EPS ?

Not trying to overcomplicate, more than happy to go with what s easiest this time.

If you could give me some sketches or drawings, even just quickly handscribbled, as I am stupid and understand pictures much better.

And also YES-it really has to be suspended Block and Beam

NO -  I can not use different Foundation systems, Not Passive Raft, not suspended Timber Floor .

Cheers

?

I think the bearing for the soleplate must be at least as wide, so you may need blocks laid flat underneath a spanning the cavity onto eps / screed will mean the bearing would not have an even loadbearing capacity and the soleplate will not be properly supported. The soleplate should be treated timber.

1 minute ago, PeterStarck said:

Why is that? Our soleplate is a timber I-beam.

You are the copy+paste instruction for lots of things on my frame.

Thanks for that.

Unfortunatley you have "conventional" Foundations so I cant copy that one.

Do you know anyone (on here) that has done Block and beam foundation with an I-beam construction on top? (or Larsen Truss- would do as well for getting useable examples)

15 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Do you know anyone (on here) that has done Block and beam foundation with an I-beam construction on top?

The only I-beam frame constructions I know of have been built on insulated rafts. I would have thought a beam and block foundation could easily be made to look like a raft.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

Why is that? Our soleplate is a timber I-beam.

NHBC, TRADA and others recommend treated timber for external wall studs and sole plates.  I guess it is extra protection against rot if they get wet.  For some reason it does not apply to roof timbers. Are your timber I beam flanges treated? Again, NHBC say they should be.