Which Osmo Oil?

ProDave

I have 5 Oak veneered internal doors to treat.

The general consensus seems to be "Osmo Oil"

Having found the usual suspects, Screweys, toolstation etc don't stock it, I searched on ebay. Only to find Osmo do a bewildering selection of different oils.

I am guessing it is this one "door oil?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Osmo-Door-Oil-3060-Clear-Satin-Tester-Single-or-Twin-Internal-Doors-Joinery/190805409273?hash=item2c6ce37df9:m:mr_MiJAZLQYsJAp1gvgca_A

Is that the one, or something different?

As it appears to be flipping expensive I only want to buy what I need, so how much for both sides of 5 internal doors?

7 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I used Osmo Door Oil and found it to be very good, but expensive.   Looking at a spare tin here, it's labelled "3060 Clear Satin", so the same as the stuff in your link.  I believe that our doors are very similar to yours.

XL Joinery Oak veneered doors, expensive ones.  

doors_4.thumb.jpg.e7d1dacc8d4a32a3e1d4c7c5be72e67d.jpg

Thanks.  I have ordered 2 litres.

Later on there will be another 5 doors (some part glazed) to treat, but they have not even been hung yet.

Is it okay to treat them in situ, or is it better to take them off and lay them flat to paint them?

• 1 year later...

Just thought I’d share my OSMO experience so far. 

Our stairs treads are made out of oak/engineered oak and to try and keep them lightish and greyish and stop them going orangeish I’ve used OSMO’s Polyx Oil - light grey.

It’s a bit nerve wracking, the product in the tin is most definitely grey, it looks like a grey primer paint. I had numerous trial runs on off cuts of oak before I had the balls to go for it on the treads themselves but I’ve achieved the look I’m after. Time will tell if it keeps the orange at bay. 

In the picture below the horizontally aligned  treads have had one coat and the vertical treads the maximum of two coats. 

E604F99E-702F-4AFB-B254-A4A1799007E8.jpeg

• Like 3

On 17/01/2021 at 19:59, Russdl said:

Our stairs treads are made out of oak/engineered oak and to try and keep them lightish and greyish and stop them going orangeish I’ve used OSMO’s Polyx Oil - light grey.

It’s a bit nerve wracking, the product in the tin is most definitely grey, it looks like a grey primer paint. I had numerous trial runs on off cuts of oak before I had the balls to go for it on the treads themselves but I’ve achieved the look I’m after. Time will tell if it keeps the orange at bay. 

In the picture below the horizontally aligned  treads have had one coat and the vertical treads the maximum of two coats. 

Looks like American white oak. doesn't colour to an orange shade in the same way as European stuff does, so you should be ok, especially treating them as you have. They look lovely tbf.

• 4 months later...
On 17/01/2021 at 19:59, Russdl said:

This is exactly what we are looking for on our oak treads, they look great. We tried Fiddes with a white and a grey tint and the Osmo grey. The whites were awful, like we had smeared PVA glue on them. Greys were not bad but it was on offcuts that we had not fully sanded. 

Can I ask how you applied it? Did you thin out the first coat with turps or wipe off after painting, anything like that?

Many thanks

Hi @Ralph I didn’t use any thinners with the Osmo Oil, just stirred well and applied a thin coat, thin enough so that you couldn’t see any obvious signs of pigment once applied. I left that for 24hrs and gave it a very light sanding and then the second thin coat. As it dries it goes vaguely grey. 

30 minutes ago, Russdl said:

Hi @Ralph I didn’t use any thinners with the Osmo Oil, just stirred well and applied a thin coat, thin enough so that you couldn’t see any obvious signs of pigment once applied. I left that for 24hrs and gave it a very light sanding and then the second thin coat. As it dries it goes vaguely grey. 

Thanks @Russdl that's very helpful.