Cutting Soil pipe accurately

ToughButterCup

My hands aren't what they used to be; so in cutting 110 soil pipe, I need to make some sort of jig to hold it.

I came up with this jig - and I'm hoping some of the nerd herd ( @Onoff's term not mine -but it's a good one) who have done this task a lot will put me right.

Two bits of 4 by 2 a little over 110 mm apart, fixed to a bit of 9 by 2. That in turn is screwed to the bench top (a scaffold board). It's a bit wider than 110 to allow me to grip the pipe so it doesn't turn.

My hands just won't / haven't got enough 'spread' or power to grip the pipe any more.

This is the jig 

20190902_113909.thumb.jpg.327034c10e6f2b283f5737580cdf77ef.jpg

The old dressing gown enables the pipe to be gripped a bit ...

20190902_113405.thumb.jpg.398da4394adecd46e587bae6a1e3154a.jpg

But this is the wobbly result ....  maybe a different type of saw would help?

20190902_113553.thumb.jpg.c6c5bf77ea90bde12bbb51da3620b995.jpg

I suppose I could file the end smooth and square - I was very tempted to put the pipe through the crosscut saw: cowardice or caution --  not sure which stopped me.

Yes after nearly losing my thumb (don’t ask) I have a lot less grip. The jig is good, my only comment is make the 2x4 , 2x5 and cut a square slot in it (like a mitre block) to get a square cut and line it with rubber mat to grip the pipe.

• Like 1

If you cut an off cut of pipe neatly, then cut a slot in it you can use this as a template to mark a neat line all around it. 

Not it sure that makes sense, cut a piece of pipe 100mm long, then split it with a cut up its length so it is springy, you can then spread it and slide it over your other pipe and use it as a template, hope that makes sense. 

Or or else do as Declan said and use a 1mm disc in the grinder. 

Edited by Russell griffiths
  • Like 2

Buy a soil pipe wall bracket and clamp it on. Use that as a guide for your handsaw.

Or keep an offcut of pipe with a split and use that to draw around or as a guide for your multi tool.

Like I did on this pipe to cover the water meter:

20161030_121226

Or use a mitre block (& Bacho saw). This is the £4.99 block from Screwfix:

20170225_110344

Use 4 bits of 4"x2", cut dead square. 2 each side, set the saw blade width apart.

A word of caution if cutting plastic pipe with a chop saw.  Don't try and cut freezing cold pipe this way.  I nearly lost an eye doing this - the pipe just shattered into loads of sharp fragments when the saw was part way through (yes, I should have been wearing eye protection...).

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Various ground workers I had all used petrol saws with a solid disc and did it by eye, used the flat side of the disc to do the champfer. 

Given the pipe slips inside the fitting and the seal is at the collar, I don't think you need to get it mm perfect.

12 hours ago, Oz07 said:

As @Russell griffiths use 100mm of pipe split for the straight line mark. 

110mm grinder spin pipe as cutting. Champher pipe with same grinder twisted on angle while rolling pipe. 

Don't you mean a 115mm grinder?

(Devil's in the detail etc! ? )

Using a 1mm slitting disc on edge, as a grinding disc...not the best idea imo.

Edited by Onoff