Air Source Heat Pump - Cylinder Design Concept

@MickD

How about just feeding an MVHR fresh air inlet to the amp room to push the heat out of the equipment and into the house? 2 birds, one stone. 

Just feed it in at the bottom and bingo, fresh cool ( CLEAN AND FILTERED ) air input, and as the room would be positively charged you should get near zero dust / infiltration. 

• Like 1

All I will add to this is I agree a Sky HD box is a very poorly designed wasteful device.  They never really shut off, even when in "standby" all that has done is shut off the AV output and turned on the standby light. Everything eles is just about running normally.  for that reason mine is connected to a mains timer, it only switches on at 5PM and goes off again at midnight. In the rare occasions I want to watch or record stuff outside those time I override the timer.

A daily re boot also reduces the chance of the flakey software in the box from crashing while I am trying to record or watch anything,

The cyliner being talked about here is an exhaust air heat pump.  It uses "waste" heat from the house to heat the hot water.  As others have already said, just vent the AV cabinet to the house to keep it cool.

I would be seriously questioning the power consumption.  It does not need to be that high.  We have 2 large screen tv's each with a surround sound 5.1 sound system, and neither of those get particularly hot. the sound systems are in the rooms with the tv's, not away in a dedicated rack.  A small hdmi splitter to route hdmi from the sky box to more than one tv uses very little power and does not get hot.  We have a sound system also in the cupboard and there really is no noticable heat from that.  The only thing in "the cupboard" that generates any significant heat is the aforementioned sky hd box and that is reduced by the use of a timer as already described.

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

All I will add to this is I agree a Sky HD box is a very poorly designed wasteful device.  They never really shut off, even when in "standby" all that has done is shut off the AV output and turned on the standby light. Everything eles is just about running normally.  for that reason mine is connected to a mains timer, it only switches on at 5PM and goes off again at midnight. In the rare occasions I want to watch or record stuff outside those time I override the timer.

This sounds very like our old Humax Freesat HDR box.  That used to run really hot all the time, being on standby didn't noticeably reduce the power consumption.  Thankfully the new Humax box we bought last year is a heck of a lot better.  It uses a fraction of the power of the old unit, runs cool, doesn't need re-booting every now and again and when it goes into standby it genuinely does seem to practically shut down.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

This sounds very like our old Humax Freesat HDR box.  That used to run really hot all the time, being on standby didn't noticeably reduce the power consumption.  Thankfully the new Humax box we bought last year is a heck of a lot better.  It uses a fraction of the power of the old unit, runs cool, doesn't need re-booting every now and again and when it goes into standby it genuinely does seem to practically shut down.

And the same as my A/V amp - Sony STR-DN1080. Only bought it last year, so should be covered by the EU network standby regs, yet still merrily consumes a constant 55W when in standby mode (and belches out heat), pretty much exact same power as when in active use. Disgusting really. It seems they interpreted the network standby energy consumption regs to only apply to WiFi use (?!) and in European versions it just turns off wifi completely in standby mode (so completely defeating the main differentiating feature I selected it for: the built in chrome-cast receiver).   But if connected via wired ethernet is seems to disable the lower power mode completely, so remote activation (for casting) works fine but is a complete power hog the entire rest of the time.

Of course, reviews never point out this kind of thing.