UFH fixing pipes to mesh ??

albert

@TonyT @Onoff 

So the current plan is to use chairs for the lower mesh and then continuous chairs for the upper layer of mesh.

The builder laying the slab is a little worried as he will be walking over it, do you think a single layer of mesh mid-way is enough or should I be using the two layers as originally planned. 

From what I'm reading it seems two layers could be over spec'ed but I keep thinking there must be a reason why it was spec'ed in the first place.1124091653_Screenshot2021-03-28at10_05_45.png.3b3a281a881d73f99207e6be7ef4c3fd.png

Sorry buddy can’t advise if 1 or 2 are needed,  I have a SE and architect that I use on all my projects, and follow their site specific advise, my concern was regarding the UFH pipes as laying sheets isn’t a delicate operation.

• Thanks 1

@SeanDean What’s the total area of the garage floor ..??

Also, what is the construction of the step between the two floors ..? That may have to be cast first or constructed differently. 

Added couple of questions after talking to my engineer ..!!

- What is the load on the area marked “Pit for lift”

- What is cross section across the pit area. How is it tied to slab / depth / etc and how tied to foundations. 

Edited by PeterW
SEng Questions added
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PeterW said:

@SeanDean What’s the total area of the garage floor ..??

Also, what is the construction of the step between the two floors ..? That may have to be cast first or constructed differently. 

Added couple of questions after talking to my engineer ..!!

- What is the load on the area marked “Pit for lift”

- What is cross section across the pit area. How is it tied to slab / depth / etc and how tied to foundations. 

The total area is 50m2, the step is to be cast in concrete.

Here is the cross section for the pit, and base. The pit is 270mm deep. 1862141733_Screenshot2021-03-28at19_27_25.thumb.png.fabf4b1dce490cf7e70c77909ad4e9da.png764331158_Screenshot2021-03-04at13_35_27.thumb.png.8b94349dd7c1b857c1761be5c4a3bbe0.png

Edited by SeanDean

You’ll have to cast that in two sections and use rebar then as you won’t be able to shutter the inside without some real challenges. There is also a huge cold bridge as the bottom of the pit has no insulation. 

Can’t see why the top deck if it’s only a chill out area needs to be 150mm - that will save you about 1 1/2 cube of concrete. 

21 hours ago, PeterW said:

You’ll have to cast that in two sections and use rebar then as you won’t be able to shutter the inside without some real challenges. There is also a huge cold bridge as the bottom of the pit has no insulation. 

Can’t see why the top deck if it’s only a chill out area needs to be 150mm - that will save you about 1 1/2 cube of concrete. 

Cheers for your input it's greatly appreciated. 

Yes, there is no insulation there, it was recommended by the lift supplier and a builder not to put insulation under there. If the garage area was to be converted into a habitual room in the future the pit would be insulated and filled in.

I'm just not sure if I should be pulling the second layer of mesh out or be leaving it in, having it in causes issues with the builders walking on it and possibly damaging the UFH but I feel as it was specked this way I should leave it in. I will for sure keep the two layers in the pit regardless.

Regarding the thickness of concrete, this is already paid for so reducing the size does not save me any money and is more hassle than it's worth I think.

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

There is no mesh / bar shown between the pit base and the main deck - you need to add that if you are casting in more than one go. 

Sorry i'm referring to the two layers of mesh in he entire floor.

Im aware the mesh will need to connected if casting in one go its just not on the plan :)