When is site insurance no longer required?

Bitpipe

We took out a 12 month policy with SelfBuild (underwritten by Zurich) and needed to extend by 3 months as we had not moved in yet and still had quite a few trades on site.

We've been in a month now and still have a few bits to complete but nothing really major internally (some electrics & joinery to finish, installation of final stairs and balustrades) and a few big jobs externally (rendering of garage, external balustrades & balconies, landscaping & paving etc..).

We don't have BC sign off yet, won't get that until final stairs and balconies & balustrades are in.

So, feels like we can transition to normal buildings & contents insurance but any gotchas I should be aware of? I believe that the SB site insurance can morph into such a policy, not checked the small print yet.

My policy is via buildstore and it transfers to the remaining period of ordinary insurance upon completion.

I would be inclined to renew the self build insurance a bit longer until you get completion.  Whatever you do, renew or put a new policy in place before the old one expires. One member had difficulty when he let his self build insurance lapse and they then tried to treat it as a new policy with existing buildings and things got complicated.

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

My policy is via buildstore and it transfers to the remaining period of ordinary insurance upon completion.

I would be inclined to renew the self build insurance a bit longer until you get completion.  Whatever you do, renew or put a new policy in place before the old one expires. One member had difficulty when he let his self build insurance lapse and they then tried to treat it as a new policy with existing buildings and things got complicated.

It's very expensive to renew - £300 for the last 3 month extension, thats why I'm keen to get onto a more standard policy.