outside pipe/.cable conduit

Might be wrong place to ask but if I'm putting in conduit pipe for 32mm water pipe and also 25mm water pipe can anyone recommend which ones to use, is it a case of 40mm for the 25mm and 63 for the 32mm water pipes as I will be pulling them both through to and from house/workshop.  Also any recommendation for conduit size for house to workshop armored cable? colour wont matter any better than most suppliers?

Edited by SallyL

I put the blue ribbed ducting in 63 from memory and the blue 25 mil water pipe  You just need to remover that the last two metres of the ducting needs to be insulated ducting 

I ran it in a trench leaving a 5 mtr coil roughly where we where going to connect to the main

and then insulate the house end of the duct 1  mtr in the house 2 mtrs underground 

8 hours ago, SallyL said:

Also any recommendation for conduit size for house to workshop armored cable? colour wont matter any better than most suppliers?

Oh yes it will, BLACK for electrical cables. don't use any other colour, especially not blue for electrical cables.

22 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Oh yes it will, BLACK for electrical cables. don't use any other colour, especially not blue for electrical cables.

Why will it ..??

conduit colour underground doesn’t matter as long as the correct identification tape is used above the ducting. For connections, some DNOs use black, others use red, some use grey. There is no “official” standard that I can find and if it’s armoured in the duct anyway, what’s the issue ..?

I’m just doing some trenching services on my plot right now.  I’ll also be doing armoured cabling and water supply from what will be the house to detached garage workshop.  Personally I’ll use black conduit for for leccy and blue for water to depths per DNO utilites company etc standards and spec even if not required I’d rather be accused of overkill than killing someone in the future however unlikely.  Though no one will see it that’s the type of thing I take pride in knowing I’ve done the best and safest job possible knowing that in 50 years time someone may dig it up, as I have done exactly that on my plot and found stuff which was dangerous.

6 hours ago, PeterW said:

Why will it ..??

conduit colour underground doesn’t matter as long as the correct identification tape is used above the ducting. For connections, some DNOs use black, others use red, some use grey. There is no “official” standard that I can find and if it’s armoured in the duct anyway, what’s the issue ..?

Try putting a bit of blue duct into your new build, and then see the reaction of the DNO when invited to feed a power cable through it.

Agreed some DNO's use red for LV cables, red is supposed to be used for HV (but I have seen SSE up here putting HV in black)

3 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

our DNO  (NIE) mandates a red hockeystick, and most of the cabling on rural sites is direct buried.

As they mandate a red duct, is the cable they supply red also? or the standard black cable?

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

Try putting a bit of blue duct into your new build, and then see the reaction of the DNO when invited to feed a power cable through it.

Agreed some DNO's use red for LV cables, red is supposed to be used for HV (but I have seen SSE up here putting HV in black)

We put in red ducting as instructed. When the inspector came out to check the ducting before connecting the mains he told us we had used the wrong red ducting. We had used the red flexible duct instead of the 3 metre socketed pipe but at no point was this specified. He passed it after we said at no point was it specified what type of red duct was required and when the cable pullers's arrived on site they said they preferred the flexible duct as it provided a nicer bend for the cable to traverse