Help me choose some roof windows

ProDave

Ok I have just dragged out an old flashing and it’s the same as yours ! So sorry I don’t get it either ! All I know is that I did not need to bend anything last time I installed them ! 

I will play around with the flashing I have and report back if I sort it out...... 

4FB023CE-FFA6-422F-9DC5-8375CBC40141.jpeg

That is forcing the top flashing section and / or the top of the side flashing section to distort.  I am not even sure there is room for it to move like that when wrapped round a window.

It would fit perfectly if that folded bit was flattened......

When  I get there for real I will see how it fits.  And have the pliers handy.

Well it is in.

Velux_1.thumb.JPG.b1a15e77fcb404b1c2379ce4b5de353b.JPG

My helper today also agreed that he could see no reason for the fold, and had never seen that before, so before fitting the top flashing, we flattened it.

I am still not convinced this is the best flashing for these tiles.  But I "discussed" it with the supplier and they were adamant this is the correct flashing for flat interlocking concrete tiles.  I don't like the way the tiles adjacent to the window kick up slightly, but it shows it doing that in the instructions, so it has not been done wrong.  I still can't help thinking a "slate" flashing would have been better, but they were adamant it would not work.

• 3 months later...

It's 4 months since I fitted the first of my 2 velux windows.  I moved the scaffold ready to do the second, and then lost the weather, it was either too cold, too wet, too windy or I was too busy working.

So finally today, taking advantage of an unusually mild and dry spell, I have fitted the other one.

Velux_2.thumb.jpg.89957f21bdeaf1f07f3b5fca8e3a0a7e.jpg

• Like 2

I know this is an older post...

I have some Velux 2G standard windows from 2010, so cerca 1.8-2.0U and found they perform fine in the winter, but in the summer the glass panels on the south side can heat up to around 60C, making for a very uncomfortable storage heater.

In comparison, the 3G Okpol Windows I have on the same orientation, which are 1.0U (these are now standard 0.83U, they've made some further improvements), and these top out at around 35C, so makes a huge difference in the summer! Okpol are the same as Fakro in terms of handle at the bottom, they do come with a vent, but I have bought vent blanks at a cost of £50 each to block these off. 55x98 window from Okpol (Sterlingbuild ECO+) is around £350 with all of the collars and everything included, which for a 0.87U window is very good value for money I think

Edited by MikeGrahamT21

I just skimmed over this post again and couldn't find it (maybe blind) or it was in a different roof window topic, but someone on here came up with a great company that does rooflights apart from Velux and Fakro. If I remember correctly they where Polish as well. They had some amazing prizes for pretty low u value products. Can't seem to find the company name atm.

Edit: found it again through Google

it was @ProDave

wwho bought some eco+ windows a few years back. Review of them was a bit mixed in his thread.

Edited by Patrick
Found the link

That will be the cheap ones from Stirling build (and others) https://www.sterlingbuild.co.uk/category/eco-plus-pitched-roof-windows

I fitted one in the plant room.  You get what you pay for. The finish was not briliant, and the mechanism to close the trickle vent is not briliant.  That's why I ended up using Velux and paying a bit more.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Patrick said:

I just skimmed over this post again and couldn't find it (maybe blind) or it was in a different roof window topic, but someone on here came up with a great company that does rooflights apart from Velux and Fakro. If I remember correctly they where Polish as well. They had some amazing prizes for pretty low u value products. Can't seem to find the company name atm.

Edit: found it again through Google

it was @ProDave

wwho bought some eco+ windows a few years back. Review of them was a bit mixed in his thread.

Yeah it was likely me, company is OKPOL, Sterlingbuild and Sunlux rebrand them as their own.

I agree the trickle vent isn't brilliant, hence buying the vent blank, but otherwise these OKPOL are far better build quality than the Velux i've got. A bit more fiddly to fit, more components, but I suspect thats where you're money is going, for easy fit.

EDIT: OK maybe not me lol!

Edited by MikeGrahamT21
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

That will be the cheap ones from Stirling build (and others) https://www.sterlingbuild.co.uk/category/eco-plus-pitched-roof-windows

I fitted one in the plant room.  You get what you pay for. The finish was not briliant, and the mechanism to close the trickle vent is not briliant.  That's why I ended up using Velux and paying a bit more.

The only problem with that is, to get a roof window with 0.83U, you don't have to pay a 'bit' more, you have to pay a 'LOT' more, which means the OKPOL or ECO+ are really good value for money, just factor in the vent blank and all is good.

Edited by MikeGrahamT21
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I re visit this thread just to ad a nugget of information.

I ruled out Fakro because there seemed to be no option but this automatic vent, or pay lots more for no vent.

Yesterday I was second fixing a new house, and I find it has Fakro roof windows with a manual vent set into the top bar of the frame that appears like it can be manually shut.

I sometimes despair of manufacturers because they lost 2 sales as a result of telling me the only option was this automatic vent thing.

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

Cheap 2G ones. the whole house is very low budget / low spec.

Right, so the availability of manual vents is not a surprise. It's Fakro's perverse notion that avoiding ventilation should be awkward on high-spec windows which is irritating.

2 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

Right, so the availability of manual vents is not a surprise. It's Fakro's perverse notion that avoiding ventilation should be awkward on high-spec windows which is irritating.

And the notion that you have to pay more for them NOT to carry out a machining operation and fit some parts to a window.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 28/08/2019 at 18:01, Ed Davies said:

double glazed for the top-hung escape windows in the two bedrooms.

Do you happen to know the building regs rules as to when you need a rooflight to be top hung to provide for a means of escape? I'm due to order my roof lights in the next week and hadn't factored this in at all.