Help me choose some roof windows

ProDave

56 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

Do you want the details of the regional sales guy for Fakro and you can see if he can advise on the issues you have Dave?

Yes please but I won't be able to contact him until next week.

Okay I feel I am getting slightly further.

Reply from the Fakro rep:

Please see my proposals for your windows, both Non Vented.

Double Glazed - U Value 1.3W/m2K

FTW P2 78 x 98 - £380.00 each

Triple Glazed - U Value -  0.97W/m2K

FTW P5 78 x 98 - £505.00 each

Those are "list trade prices ex VAT"

So it confirms my suspicion £125 for the extra pane of glass is probably not worth it for the marginal energy saving with such a small window?

But I still feel I am being hoodwinked.  I can get the "standard" Fakro with it's automatic air vent for £201, so it seems so wrong to pay £380, not far off twice as much, just to not have a vent.

So the search continues....... 

Part of me says just buy the standard one with it's silly built in vent and empty a can of squirty foam into it to block the vent.

The triple glazed one is actually more expensive than the higher spec U6 window

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/fttw-u605-white-centre-pivot-triple-glazed-window-78cm-x-98cm.html

Is it possible to take a pine one and paint it white?

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/ftp-r105-pine-centre-pivot-sound-reduction-window-78cm-x-98cm.html

Actually here is the equivalent painted one £309.

The FTW P2 the rep recommended and this the FTU R1 both use 6.8mm laminated glass, this partly explains the higher price. The P2 is listed as anti burglary and the R1as noise reduction. I don't know why he didn't recommend the noise reduction unit as it comes with no vent as standard so is cheaper.

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/fakro-ftu-r1-05-white-centre-pivot-sound-reduction-glazed-window-78cm-x-98cm.html

Edited by AliG
  • Like 1

I have a quote today from Roofing superstore for £320 for the non ventilated Fakro.

It is still bugging me that is it £119 more than the absolutely identical window with a ventilator.  I don't like being fleeced extra to have one bit left out.

I am considering looking again at the Velux offerings.  The main reason for looking at Fakro was the operating handle is at the bottom, Vs at the top on Velux.

I am looking at this one https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/velux-ggl-mk04-2070-white-centre-pivot-window-laminated-78cm-x-98cm.html

Can anyone that has fitted one recently confirm they still fit the same manual vent at the top of the window that they always used to fit?  A vent that can be closed would be acceptable (It is Fakro's "automatic" vent that you cannot close that is causing me grief)

Okay how about this "unknown" make? https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-manual-centre-pivot-white-roof-window-clear-780-x-980mm/688fv#product_additional_details_container

£150, Handle at the bottom, UW 1.3 and I cannot see a ventilator. Description says "Ventilation via Handle"  which sounds like if you want ventilation, you open it a bit.

Apart from the unknown make and therefore unknown quality of construction and finish, what is there not to like?

Looks like you have a good choice there.

To answer the previous question, the Velux vent is integrated into the handle. So you twist the handle to its first position and it opens the vent and then twist it further to open the window.

I find it quite annoying as the vent doesn't ever feel securely closed. It just seems to be pressure from the handle.

Well a decision has been made and the windows ordered.

I ruled out Fakro because of the non closable vent and the silly extra money they want to charge to have no vent.

I ruled out the cheap non vented "SITE" window simply because it was unknown and I did not want to be criticised if it turned out to be cheap and nasty. 

So I went with the standard Velux GGL MK04 in a painted white finish.   SWMBO agreed to the top handle in the end as these windows are set lower than the ones in our previous house where it was hard to reach the top handle.  We both know the quality to expect from a Velux window, and although the basic window does have a vent, you can close it, and in the previous house I never noticed a shut vent being leaky.

Roofing Superstore gave the cheapest quote.  They had to add £30 for "remote delivery" and then took £20 off again with a voucher code.  Then when I transferred the quote to an order this evening, the price went down by £24, on checking, their list price for this window had dropped today and that was reflected in the price paid.  So all in price for 2 windows, flashings and delivery £593

Sterling Build had a slightly higher list price and when asked about delivery did not reply.

And I tried the new local builders merchant but they were £40 more, and I asked them if they would match Roofing Superstores price but they could not.

Does anyone know if the standard Velux windows with (I think!) manual vent are airtight enough?  Not quite at passive house level but want to be there from an airtightness perspective. Looking at Velux GGL MK06 306621U for example.

Thanks for the Velux rewards tip @wozza

6 hours ago, wozza said:

I got £140 back (in vouchers for various shops) for my Velux windows.

Tell me more.

But please don't tell me this is something I should have done before ordering to get the price down.

2 minutes ago, andy said:

Does anyone know if the standard Velux windows with (I think!) manual vent are airtight enough?  Not quite at passive house level but want to be there from an airtightness perspective. Looking at Velux GGL MK06 306621U for example.

Thanks for the Velux rewards tip @wozza

Yes - I have quite a few Velux and achieved <0.6 ACH in my airtightness. The Integra ones are wired to mains and come with a wireless controller as they're located too high up to reach. I also have their external blinds on the east / south facing windows and internal blinds on the west facing ones (SK10) which are reachable.

2 x VELUX Electric Centre-Pivot GGU MK04 006621 INTEGRA incl. EDN Flashing

2 x VELUX Top-Hung GPU MK04 0066 incl. EDN Flashing

2 x VELUX Top-Hung GPU SK10 0066 incl. EDN Flashing

2 x VELUX Electric Centre-Pivot GGU PK10 006621 INTEGRA incl. EDN Flashing

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wozza said:

I got £140 back (in vouchers for various shops) for my Velux windows.

Yep - did this too and got money back, even though I bought the windows through an online discount reseller.

This extra delivery charge for our "remote location"

I have just had an email to confirm the windows have just been dispatched from Velux directly at Glenrothes, Fife.  So it is not as though they have to come particularly far is it?

Yet they would have posted them to the Lizard in Cornwall for no extra cost.

Rant over.

My windows arrived today.  They were not due until tomorrow. Good job they arrived late in the day otherwise they would have found nobody in because they are a day early.

I did query the delivery charge and this was their response:

The delivery charges we have automatically stated on-line are for UK mainland excluding Highlands and Isles. So the "Free delivery" on the VELUX products would not be applicable in this instance as you are based in the Highlands.

Upon further review, had we dispatched the windows from ourselves in Plymouth which would have come perhaps with an extended delivery time we would have had to charge you an additional £80 ex vat. To send these windows direct from VELUX as noted cost £30 ex vat, as we wanted to ensure also a speedier delivery and not charging you more for the order we have also sucked up the additional cost to purchase the windows direct, as when ordered into stock we get these at a much cheaper rate.

I appreciate where you are coming from but the way this has been processed we have saved you an additional £50 ex vat shipping send this direct from us and also taken a hit on the cost of the windows.

I guess that's the end of that then.

• 2 weeks later...

Some help with my flashings please.

This is the Velux EDW flashing for a standard GGL roof window.

The bottom piece of the flashing joins to the two sides correctly and easily.

However I cannot get the top piece to join to the sides.

First picture shows the top of the left hand side piece of the flashing.  It clearly has the top of the bit facing you deliberately bent over.  This is the same on both side pieces.  It must be bent over for a reason.

DSCF2923.thumb.JPG.c454e7daf3cc8f0cd69686c6851d500d.JPG

But if you try and slot the top piece onto the sides pieces, it simply won't go, because this bent over piece is in the way:

DSCF2925.thumb.JPG.cc6bc8fdcaeb56f51f7b0f574357c7af.JPG

I could make it fit together by using a pair of pliers and straightening out that bent over piece. But I should not have to do that, it is bent over for a reason.

What am I doing wrong?

The instructions are useless, just a few pictures with little details.

Have you got it right way up, could it be for the far side ? It’s hard to remember as I put mine in over a year ago but I do remember that there was the potential for mixing bits up...  maybe it’s the top bit not the lower bit, I’m sure I had something similar, the flexible foam might help you with the correct placement I think.... as it’s designed to go one way. Sorry to be so vague but I do remember some small glitch and when I moved things round it became evident. I can go on my roof tomorrow if required and have a look, but don’t go bending it ! 

I am 99.9% sure I have them the right way.  The bits of foam all line up properly.  If I tried to swap the two sides over, and in doing so put them the other way up, then at the bottom the two bits of foam would not meet, leaving a gap, and at the top, the bits of foam would try to overlap.

Of course Velux could make it simple and foolproof by printing "left" on one of them and "right" on the other, but that would just take all the fun out of it and reduce the calls to their help line.

If you have one accessible (i.e. not tiled) then please have a look  I am planning to fit the first one tomorrow, I have all the tiles removed and ready to go in the morning.