Laptop requirement for sketchup

K78

The spec you'll need will depend on:
- How large/complex your Sketchup models are.
- If you plan to use any rendering plugins. (there are some free ones).

- If you plan to use the free web version or the desktop app (I find the later is more responsive, whereas I struggle with the web based)

In terms of a MacBook again, it depends on:

- If it's Macbook, Macbook Pro i5 or Macbook Pro i7 and the number of cores.

- Amount of RAM.

- Amount of graphics memory.

I'm using a 2.5GHz i7 with 16Gb memory and an integrated graphics card and the Skethcup desktop application works smoothly with a fairly large model.  Could be a bit more responsive but very useable, although turning off shadows improves things.  Web-based version hangs a lot though..

Dan

Edited by Dan Feist
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dan Feist said:

The spec you'll need will depend on:
- How large/complex your Sketchup models are.
- If you plan to use any rendering plugins. (there are some free ones).

- If you plan to use the free web version or the desktop app (I find the later is more responsive, whereas I struggle with the web based)

In terms of a MacBook again, it depends on:

- If it's Macbook, Macbook Pro i5 or Macbook Pro i7 and the number of cores.

- Amount of RAM.

- Amount of graphics memory.

I'm using a 2.5GHz i7 with 16Gb memory and an integrated graphics card and the Skethcup desktop application works smoothly with a fairly large model.  Could be a bit more responsive but very useable, although turning off shadows improves things.  Web-based version hangs a lot though..

Dan

I only need it for basic floor plans. Nothing extravagant.

I ditched my laptop for a iPad Pro which meets 99% of my needs. IOS doesn’t run sketchup though. 

7 minutes ago, K78 said:

I ditched my laptop for a iPad Pro which meets 99% of my needs. IOS doesn’t run sketchup though. 

In exactly the same situation...... need a second hand laptop / iMac for the same reason as well as the ability to get stuff of numerous hard drives....... been needing it for six years but never needing it enough to fork out the coin, rather spend it on building materials and trees........  

• Like 1

My MacBook Air has been running Skectchup since mid 2013 without a hitch and I have some very detailed models. The more textures and layers you use the slower it gets.

1632728299_Screenshot2019-08-27at19_47_01.png.af048f96b917e1701b1dd52b56474d1a.png

Edited by Russdl
  • Like 2