Exposed Wooden Joist Into a Steel Beam - which Hangers?

RachelA

Hi All

My first post - so a bit of a rookie! 

I am designing a flat roof back and side extension to my Victorian Terrace and I want to expose the wooden joists of the flat roof into the exposed steel beam (like in attached pictures) 

I am trying to work out how these are fixed into the beam which is a UC 254x254 - obvi the traditional approach would be pack with timber + hangers but as it will all be exposed Id like a more aesthetic solution. 

As far as I can tell, I need a 'nice' looking hanger to fit inside of the beam that can be painted with intumescent paint along with the beam and am looking for recommendations for these. Or, do steel companies design this into the beam as it looks like in some of the pictures? I did email one to ask but the answer was no. Any recommendations for these as well!

Thank you in advance. 

The Makers House 9.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 11.30.12.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 11.30.19.png

8 minutes ago, RachelA said:

[...]

I am designing a flat roof back and side extension to my Victorian Terrace and I want to expose the wooden joists of the flat roof into the exposed steel beam

[...]

Firstly, welcome. This sounds like an interesting project

My answer assumes that your level of technical design skill is about the same as mine. Got an idea, but not sure whether it'll work. Right?

Can I suggest you ask a professional designer to do the design? Then all you will need to do is tell her that you want the beams to be exposed.

OK, this has cost implications: but that will be as nothing to doing it yourself. There be dragons. Lots of them.

A steel fabricator would be able to produce what you need by welding support pieces onto the web / flanges of the beam. They need to be able to support the timbers and stop them twisting. They may also need to prevent them moving in or out, so a through fixing may be needed. You will need to find a solution that satisfies your aesthetic aspirations as well as one that is structurally acceptable. You will need a section drawing showing the timber joist, roof deck, wall and steel. Building control may ask for SE calcs.

The Simpson Strong-Tie range includes various concealed hangers intended to go in the end of glulam or well-dried timber joists. E.g.,

https://www.strongtie.co.uk/products/detail/concealed-beam-hanger/57

https://www.strongtie.co.uk/products/detail/concealed-beam-hangers/59

https://www.strongtie.co.uk/products/detail/concealed-beam-hanger/481

I couldn't find any for bolting to steel backing. Still, that might be a help to find some. Alternatively, you could discreetly bolt a timber backing plate into a steel I beam or onto another shaped beam then nail to that.