Tilted worktop on an island?

puntloos

Clearly (?) there's often some water and other liquids on a worktop, and I was wondering if it made sense to have it tilted as to control the water running off? I could imagine some clever "v" shape in an island might have all water run into one spot - similar to a wet room I imagine.. Has anyone ever seen, let alone done such a design?

We previously had worktops with grooves cut into them for drainers. They didn't work that well and were difficult to clean. A steep sharp groove in stainless steel as above might work, but then it would not be useable for anything other than water drainage unless you put a cover over it.

In the current house we have just flat quartz worktops with no drainers cut in.

Small amounts of water have too much surface tension to flow on a shallow slope and will bite happily just sit there, so even with a slope you still need to sweep the water into the sink.

As the water will sit there anyway, a flat surface is better the rest of the time and easier to clean.

What we do have is two sinks, a smaller one in the island and a larger one at the side, that way there is always somewhere to sweep water, crumbs etc into. It works really well.

If you wash lot of stuff by hand then you might want a recessed area to hold the water, a recessed area is easier to clean than grooves, but in that case I would recommend a dishwasher ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, puntloos said:

Clearly (?) there's often some water and other liquids on a worktop, and I was wondering if it made sense to have it tilted as to control the water running off? I could imagine some clever "v" shape in an island might have all water run into one spot - similar to a wet room I imagine.. Has anyone ever seen, let alone done such a design?

I think you are over thinking this, what the bloody hell are you Going to do to create that much water?

8 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I think you are over thinking this, what the bloody hell are you Going to do to create that much water?

I suppose the main reason I brought this up is that in my current house I often have water dripping on the floor, and I don't think I'm 'unusually wet' in how I use my worktop. It's clearly not a 'massive deal' but if there's some cool way to do this I'd like to know about it.

Edited by puntloos

1 hour ago, AliG said:

We previously had worktops with grooves cut into them for drainers. They didn't work that well and were difficult to clean. A steep sharp groove in stainless steel as above might work, but then it would not be useable for anything other than water drainage unless you put a cover over it.

In the current house we have just flat quartz worktops with no drainers cut in.

Small amounts of water have too much surface tension to flow on a shallow slope and will bite happily just sit there, so even with a slope you still need to sweep the water into the sink.

As the water will sit there anyway, a flat surface is better the rest of the time and easier to clean.

What we do have is two sinks, a smaller one in the island and a larger one at the side, that way there is always somewhere to sweep water, crumbs etc into. It works really well.

If you wash lot of stuff by hand then you might want a recessed area to hold the water, a recessed area is easier to clean than grooves, but in that case I would recommend a dishwasher ?

Thanks AliG, I think your experience makes a lot of sense, didn't think of the cleaning part too much (although I imagined only a single "V" shape really, with one neat groove. 

Still, the surface tension indeed might ruin it enough to not be worth all the extra specialized architecting/stoneworking etc.

Recessed> I do a lot of handwashing, just because many things don't go well into the dishwasher or I want immediately (and we only use dishwasher once every 3 days or so). Worth considering I suppose. Do you have a picture of what you had in mind?

Edited by puntloos

A recess without grooves would be like this.

Image result for recessed drainer in quartz

TBH we just leave things on the flat surface to dry and it seems fine, although we very rarely handwash anything, if it was a lot there might be too much water. I think some people just put a dishtowel down on a flat surface and it soaks up the water.

• Like 1