Estimators Online

Ralph

I also got a costing from them a couple of weeks ago.  They took my timber frame quote, reviewed what was included/exlcuded and based the costing on this.  You do have to tell them everything you want included/excluded (i.e. no radiators) up front ideally.  They take into account your post code to give localized labor rates which I thought was interesting.

My concern with this costing though, is that all materials are very basic so I'm unsure how useful this costing is if you know we are going to upgrade most material above the basics. We don't want to use a quote that is around £100/ft2 for a mortage application if we think we are going to spend 50% more, else we're are going to be short of money.

I think we're going to find and use a QS (will likely be a fair bit more than £150) who will be able to use more realisitc estimates for things based on the level of material/quality we're looking for.

Dan

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yes ... and when I had recreated the model in Excel and reduced the item costs it’s come in about 65% of their estimate

I was under the impression you could export to Excel, did you have to recreate so you could do the adjustments?

11 minutes ago, Dan Feist said:

My concern with this costing though, is that all materials are very basic so I'm unsure how useful this costing is if you know we are going to upgrade most material above the basics. We don't want to use a quote that is around £100/ft2 for a mortage application if we think we are going to spend 50% more, else we're are going to be short of money.

Good point, II'll be as specific as possible with the materials. 

I should add that in my case they worked off of my planning documents only.  Maybe they'd do a better job with full drawings and specifications.

Looking at it again my costing had no:

- Kitchen

- Flooring

- Cabinetry of any sort.

- Anything at all beyond the basics e.g. screedboard upstairs, MVHR etc.

The under-priced items are mostly:

- Plastic guttering

- Only single-layer of standard plasterboard everything.

- Sanitary ware and taps etc.

- Electrical (sockets, switched and lighting etc)

Dan

Edited by Dan Feist

9 minutes ago, Dan Feist said:

should add that in my case they worked off of my planning documents only.  Maybe they'd do a better job with full drawings and specifications.

I've decided to give them a go and sent out as much detail as possible. I'll be interested to see what they come back with.

I had a quote and just used it as a tool for me to refine in order to improve accuracy.  I found value in that it could be exported to an excel document with all the entries there ready for me to arm and prices where necessary to what I felt it should be.  I could then insert additional lines where items were overlooked.

It's cheap and cheerful and useful as a starting point - not the finished article but a good base to work from if you are willing to put the time/effort in to go through it line by line.  If not, then a QS is more suitable but then that comes with a cost!