Repairing Old Wheelbarrow On the Cheap

Onoff

My trusty albeit much abused wheelbarrow. Rotary wire brushed and flap disc'd the frame. Got No2 daughter to etch prime it with a rattle can yesterday. Then in a big clear up I came across some green gloss paint left by the previous owner. Opened it up to an oil slick on top. Mixed it up and it was lumpy like porridge! Today I stuck it through a kitchen sieve (sanctioned) and employed some slave labour:

IMG_20190823_144421715

But what to do with the old galvanised tub? It's rotted thru at 4 points. Let's be honest, cutting out a rectangle and TIG welding a new panel in is overkill. Thinking just 4 big square washers maybe bonded with CT1? 

IMG_20190823_182455299

Quick rotary wire brush and galvanising spray underneath:

IMG_20190823_182516774

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 3

Two big "washers", one either side with a bolt. Perhaps loads of polyurethane based glue to prevent water being trapped between washers and barrow? 

Edited by Temp

25 minutes ago, Temp said:

Two big "washers", one either side with a bolt. Perhaps loads of polyurethane based glue to prevent water being trapped between washers and barrow? 

Was debating Starretting some round washers o/of stainless steel. It's either that or some mild steel. I've not got any Zintec.

Was half thinking to do that then seal up all the other holes with CT1 and pour in my citric acid mixture to get rid of the rest of the rust...

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Isn’t that where the bolts for the frame go, so a couple of penny washers and a coach bolt through the frame on each one .??

Yep the holes are probably about 1" dia. It's rusted where the original washers were. Had to cut all 4 original bolts out. 

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

Was debating Starretting some round washers o/of stainless steel. It's either that or some mild steel. I've not got any Zintec.

Was half thinking to do that then seal up all the other holes with CT1 and pour in my citric acid mixture to get rid of the rest of the rust...

Is this not up with John Harvey Jones in Morgan:

“I am surprised they do not start with the tree.”

I dread to think of the fear inflicted on future partners. “Good morning darling. BTW I converted your car to run on porridge while you were in the shower. Cornflakes for you this morning.”

Edited by Ferdinand

8 hours ago, Temp said:

Or something like zinc plated "plate washers"... 

https://www.gsproducts.co.uk/bzp-square-plate-washers/

Did think of those but maybe a bit thick if I'm shovelling stuff out of the barrow as in the blade will catch. Thin sheet plus dome headed coach bolts will give me the best chance I reckon.

Edited by Onoff

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

In that case just dish the metal a bit around the washers ..?? Should recess them enough. 

If you zoom in on the picture above it looks like the cross bars on the frame are themselves pressed/recessed to receive the pulled down tub. Maybe one penny washer in the recess then another to take up the lost thickness of steel then the big disc washer.

I got an amazing barrow in Australia, I used it daily for years out there moving massive loads (60-120kg) on a regular basis for 10 years and as it had served me so well I found a corner for it in the shipping container when I sent a load of stuff back to Scotland, it’s still going strong, I had to rebuild the main bearing area with bits of old pipe and plastic but it’s fine now. I have never seen one like it for sale in the (UK) the extra wide wheel allows for large loads and provides great stability. Another one of my top 10 buys ! 

F21017CE-A243-49AD-9662-DFBF465485EE.jpeg

668C6F8D-26F3-42CC-A315-56A9E064C34A.jpeg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

How about something like this: 

https://tinyurl.com/y4w9uov3

Thanks but I want a galvanised tub. Seen them on the bay for £30 to £40 but wonder at the steel thickness. This seems good and has the puncture proof wheel. But the bit about the "0.7 micron steel".....do they actually mean 0.7mm which isn't tbh that thick or are they referring to the "galvanised" coating. Zintec sheet coating is I'm sure about 1 - 1.75 microns. Lost in the Chinglish no doubt!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110L-METAL-GALVANISED-PAN-HEAVY-DUTY-WHEELBARROW-14-YELLOW-PUNCTURE-PROOF-WHEEL/322192105784?

26 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Why not a  plastic tub ? 

This is a refurb job not buy new. Using whatever I can find lying around hence the old gloss, part used rattle cans. Cost so far zilch...or is it?

I now need a new sieve as the old one I used to sieve the gloss is ruined.

The 2 half used cans of etch primer used it's not there for something else. Call that £5 for a can.

It got the kids doing something practical was the main thing and maybe made them think about the throwaway society etc. 

• Like 1

On 24/08/2019 at 11:34, Onoff said:

This is a refurb job not buy new. Using whatever I can find lying around hence the old gloss, part used rattle cans. Cost so far zilch...or is it?

I now need a new sieve as the old one I used to sieve the gloss is ruined.

The 2 half used cans of etch primer used it's not there for something else. Call that £5 for a can.

It got the kids doing something practical was the main thing and maybe made them think about the throwaway society etc. 

I’m sure that now they understand why a throwaway society is so much easier ?