Door opening into room at right angles to top of stairs?

Dan F

Hi,

I'm was sure this must have been covered elsewhere, but I can't find anything searching the forum.. so hear goes:

We are currently looking at a couple of tweaks to our planning drawings prior to ordering the timber-frame and our interior architect has come up with a variation on our scheme that creates a lovely central gallery.  One of out concerns with this changes though, is with the location of a bathroom door which has ended up at the top of the stairs.

I have read Part K in detail, but can't seem to work out if/how it applies to this scenario given the door doesn't open out onto the landing. Regs seem to only talk about
i) Landing as deep and as wide as stair width 1.2.0 (which we have here)

ii) Doors not swinging across a landing at the bottom of a flight of stairs 1.2.4 (which we don't have here at bottom or top of stairs)

(This is England Building Regs)

Anyone know for certain how this is treated by building control?  Will we need 400mm between stair and door, regardless of it if opens into bathroom or if it is a pocket door?

Thanks!

image.png.f22c7b68b082fa2a749cd7482f84ddd9.png

Edited by Dan Feist

If I've understood your drawing correctly I believe thats fine. Its similar to ours but we only have two steps down where you have a flight.

I note the stairs appear to be about as wide as the door. That might feel a bit narrow but it depends how wide your door is.

Edited by Temp

This would fail Scottish building regs, as we have to leave a certain amount of clear wall space at the top and bottom of a flight of stairs, to allow for a stair lift to land.  Check nothing similar applies to England and Wales.

That is a pretty horrible place to be putting a door regardless if it meets regs or not especially as your landing is tight. I would be going for the 400 offset if at all possible. Can you narrow your gallery and get the landing a bit wider? Are you not paying an architect to tell you if the design will meet building regs, surely that is their job?

Edited by Alex C