What do you call a thingy that ...

ToughButterCup

switches my vacuum cleaner on when I start my saw?

Whats the name  of the type of switch that you can plug into the mains which allows you  to  start (say) your crosscut saw and automatically  switches your vacuum cleaner on?

I have a Bosch vac with that type of switch integrated tof it : you plug the vac into the mains, but plug the crosscut saw into the vacuum.  Switch the saw on, and the vac starts - switch it off and there's a slight delay while the vacuum  'clears ' the hose of dust.

That (double?) switch on my vacuum has failed. I understand there's a device you can plug into a mains socket that does the same.  Whats it called?

It'll be some sort of current sensing relay I suspect.   These can turn on (or more commonly in industrial applications turn off) a load at a set current.  In this case a current sense relay set to turn on when enough current flows from the power tool outlet would do the job.  I'll have a poke around and see if there's anything around that's cheap and easy to fit.

20 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Thanks J.

I found this video by Peter Millard and on his recommendation I'm thinking the Intelliplug might do the trick?  

Looks to be just the job!  For under a fiver ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-ON-POWERDOWN-Energy-Saving-Intelliplug-Surge-Protect-Plug-TV-PC/254328378873?hash=item3b372715f9:g:pWMAAOSwijhdUTp5 ) you can't really go wrong.  Tempted to get one myself.

If you are in the market for a new serious vacuum  unit --then look at the trend unit meant for use with a router etc --you just plug you tool into it and it does the rest 

i can certainly recommend the trend vac -2kw motor   with very fine filtration with dry filter in --so you can route mdf and  it catches it all

I used it to route my mdf floors when retro fitting UFh in them 

Festool do a similar one for using with dry sanding system -but more expensive 

Edited by Nickfromwales

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

Looks to be just the job!  For under a fiver ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-ON-POWERDOWN-Energy-Saving-Intelliplug-Surge-Protect-Plug-TV-PC/254328378873?hash=item3b372715f9:g:pWMAAOSwijhdUTp5 ) you can't really go wrong.  Tempted to get one myself.

I don't even know why I need one but for a fiver its "buy it now" as its bound to come in useful one day* :D 

*assuming I can find it in the "safe place" I've put it in the shed/workshop/garage/loft(s) :/ 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

switches my vacuum cleaner on when I start my saw?

Whats the name  of the type of switch that you can plug into the mains which allows you  to  start (say) your crosscut saw and automatically  switches your vacuum cleaner on?

I have a Bosch vac with that type of switch integrated tof it : you plug the vac into the mains, but plug the crosscut saw into the vacuum.  Switch the saw on, and the vac starts - switch it off and there's a slight delay while the vacuum  'clears ' the hose of dust.

That (double?) switch on my vacuum has failed. I understand there's a device you can plug into a mains socket that does the same.  Whats it called?

Switches my vacuum cleaner on when I start my saw?

Your wife ! ?

12 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Can you hack into one of those cheap replacement remote controls.

It looks like there are two versions of the E-ON device.  The one linked to on ebay earlier needs a TV remote to work, but there is another version that I think may have current sensing.  Rather confusingly both are called the E-ON Powerdown, which doesn't help.  I've taken a punt and ordered what I think may be the current sensing version, rather than the one that works from a  TV remote, which I think has the reference number: DSK105EON

10 hours ago, JSHarris said:

[...]

there is another version that I think may have current sensing. 

[...]

Used mine for the first time yesterday. Hooked it up to a Bosch crosscut saw and a Bosch Hoover (its own current sensing device never  worked).  There's a five second delay in both 'spool-up' and ''' spool down ' time.  Works fine.

I'll try using the Hoover as the master and crosscut and table saws as the slaves next.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JSHarris said:

A word of caution!

The cheap E-ON Powerdown  (the thing in the ebay links) only works with a TV remote control.  Mine arrived today and it's useless for controlling a vacuum cleaner remotely...

Don't beat yourself up  you could have been the bloke who ordered two! ?

All I really wanted was a switched power take off for a vacuum, for my radial arm saw and I've just realised I could have done that with a 13A socket and one of the many 230V coil contactors I've sitting here!

Doh!

31 minutes ago, Onoff said:

All I really wanted was a switched power take off for a vacuum, for my radial arm saw and I've just realised I could have done that with a 13A socket and one of the many 230V coil contactors I've sitting here!

How would you do that? Putting the contactor coil in series with the saw isn't likely to end well.