Industrial vacuum cleaner

Jilly

Hi, I hope I am not revealing some gender bias about myself here (!) but I am getting to grips with clearing out the stable  ready for conversion (full of junk, rubbish old hay, sawdust and huge cobwebs) and am thinking I need an industrial mammoth vacuum cleaner to get right up into the eaves etc. I've heard hat Big Brutes are expensive but very good. I have asthma and can't  do dust (not good for a self-build, I know). Any suggestions/experience etc?

13 minutes ago, Jilly said:

Hi, I hope I am not revealing some gender bias about myself here (!) but I am getting to grips with clearing out the stable  ready for conversion (full of junk, rubbish old hay, sawdust and huge cobwebs) and am thinking I need an industrial mammoth vacuum cleaner to get right up into the eaves etc. I've heard hat Big Brutes are expensive but very good. I have asthma and can't  do dust (not good for a self-build, I know). Any suggestions/experience etc?

The best one that we have had for coping with what you describe and price have been Nil Fisk 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jilly said:

Got to be a Numatic product, I have used a Henry for essentially building work and with good bags and keeping it well maintained he has been a beast, we now have a George and a Hetty. I would not recommend the Henry quite for your level of stuff, he could cope, but the bag would fill quickly. If I have major stuff to do I get the 15litre bag for George and use him, I managed to fill Henry right up and all the way along his pipe with sawdust once and it was still vacuuming away no bother - sure it was reduced but it was impressive. 

Have a look at this stuff - there is a reason you see these guys all over sites, schools, airports etc. they are good. A standard Henry is HEPA 15 I think which is 99.99???? and then there is a HEPA 17 which is 99.999995% which is basically the particle arrestance ability. For your needs, you can get ones that are even designed to vacuum up asbestos dust and will not re-emit the dust into the room - so the point is, if you got one, keep it pretty clean, you could then end up with a really really handy machine for bigger cleaning jobs which will give you better dust control than any domestic vac you can buy - Dyson - eat your heart out. 

https://www.numatic.co.uk/product-subranges.aspx?r=6

You can get the big blue one for about £200 which is 20litres. 

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jilly said:

[...]

I have asthma and can't  do dust (not good for a self-build, I know). Any suggestions/experience etc?

Have a think about integrating the vacuum cleaner with the tools that will be used around the build. And insist that trades use and integrated  vacuum cleaner with their tools when their work is likely to create dust.

So, the hose diameter - or the availability of an appropriate adapter -   between tool and vacuum cleaner is more important to you than for many.

Your first guess of my choice is likely to be correct.

• Like 1

I have got one of these, the GREAT thing about this is that it blows or sucks and has a power take of for hooking up small tools like sanders, planers  etc so it comes on automatically when the sander is switched on. I use it on my big table saw and for sucking up building waste and sawdust. The Amazing bit of plastic / drum  (buy from Rutlands or some other place but there one is great as you can see when it’s full and if it’s working)   Is what goes between the hoover and the the sucking end, it collects about 98% of all the stuff so you NEVER need to replace bags ! It has saved me a fortune and is one of my best bits of kit. I could not be happier with the whole set up, I just join old bits of hose together depending on the job, you can get them for nothing from a dump recycling centre ! Or again buy a hose adapter set from Rutlands or similar. I have put this through it’s paces over the last few years and it’s still on it’s first bag and has never missed a beet. Great kit and I am sure it will do what you need. I have used a whole bunch of hoovers and this one is by far the best I have got.    

2D08A8B6-FE40-43A5-B139-DD8442070ECB.jpeg

C7B23EBA-CD6A-4F70-A705-25838B0D4314.jpeg

3BC25D65-5BDA-4FF7-9C37-2154A0AF8CA4.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cpd said:

I have got one of these, the GREAT thing about this is that it blows or sucks and has a power take of for hooking up small tools like sanders, planers  etc so it comes on automatically when the sander is switched on. I use it on my big table saw and for sucking up building waste and sawdust. The Amazing bit of plastic / drum  (buy from Rutlands or some other place but there one is great as you can see when it’s full and if it’s working)   Is what goes between the hoover and the the sucking end, it collects about 98% of all the stuff so you NEVER need to replace bags ! It has saved me a fortune and is one of my best bits of kit. I could not be happier with the whole set up, I just join old bits of hose together depending on the job, you can get them for nothing from a dump recycling centre ! Or again buy a hose adapter set from Rutlands or similar. I have put this through it’s paces over the last few years and it’s still on it’s first bag and has never missed a beet. Great kit and I am sure it will do what you need. I have used a whole bunch of hoovers and this one is by far the best I have got.    

2D08A8B6-FE40-43A5-B139-DD8442070ECB.jpeg

C7B23EBA-CD6A-4F70-A705-25838B0D4314.jpeg

3BC25D65-5BDA-4FF7-9C37-2154A0AF8CA4.jpeg

Amazing bit of plastic

Love it 

It’s easily saved me a few hundred pounds already, I have one of these plastic cyclone heads mounted on a 200  litre drum that’s dedicated to the table saw as this produces a lot of sawdust when your ripping stuff down, again the sawdust NEVER gets near the bag ! It’s like magic !!!! Also have another one dedicated to the router table ...... when you own one you will just wish you had another......  

18 hours ago, dpmiller said:

3800W on a 13A plug?

thats what the machine is rated for --if you want to use at full rate then a 16 amp circuit --but i can say i have never had a problem using a big1/2" trend router and vac an 13amp fuse. it has a proper 2.5mm  soft flex  cable on it  not the usual thin crappy thing 

Edited by scottishjohn

16 hours ago, Cpd said:

It’s easily saved me a few hundred pounds already, I have one of these plastic cyclone heads mounted on a 200  litre drum that’s dedicated to the table saw as this produces a lot of sawdust when your ripping stuff down, again the sawdust NEVER gets near the bag ! It’s like magic !!!! Also have another one dedicated to the router table ...... when you own one you will just wish you had another......  

looks good --only comment would be its not very  compact +portable 

the first filter in the trend ,which is cloth bag  just blows  out or knocks out --paper filter never got bocked yet --same again blow out with air line or knock it on ground

my brother -- being an idiot used it to suck up plaster dust -- that then set in cloth filter and required changing then -

If he had emptied it whe he had finished quite sure the plaster would have blown out as well -- but a year later --no chance

Edited by scottishjohn

• 3 years later...