Laminated windows?

ruthn

I'd appreciate some advice on window specs, we are looking to replace huge bungalow living room windows (have put off for 8 years but now condensation and rotten wood forces us). I got a quote for Rational alu-clad from ADW in Cumbernauld, these came in at around £6700. I decided to shop around and have now got a quote from http://www.russelltimbertech.co.uk for 'laminated timber' windows. This is coming in at just under £3000. Does it sound too cheap? Does anyone have experience of this company's products/service and 'laminated' softwood windows? Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks! 

Nothing wrong with using laminated timber for windows. It's what I supply as standard. They do not twist or warp the same and are much more stable. Just be aware the scantlings are made from very fine finger jointed timber. Some people find the finger jointing offensive so specify no visible finger joints if you don't like it. Photo attached. 

IMG_5517.jpeg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ruthn said:

I'd appreciate some advice on window specs, we are looking to replace huge bungalow living room windows (have put off for 8 years but now condensation and rotten wood forces us). I got a quote for Rational alu-clad from ADW in Cumbernauld, these came in at around £6700. I decided to shop around and have now got a quote from http://www.russelltimbertech.co.uk for 'laminated timber' windows. This is coming in at just under £3000. Does it sound too cheap? Does anyone have experience of this company's products/service and 'laminated' softwood windows? Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks! 

No, ADW are just a rip off, they were the most expensive quote we got for windows too. They took ages to return the quote too, so when they asked if I wanted to proceed I said, well first of all it took you weeks to return a quote and you're the most expensive by a long way. No thanks!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

I cant remember all the companies I went to, janex and Russell timber were around the same, Nordan then rationel cost wise, rationel are the nicest windows imo but I just didn't have the money! My original budget of 10k fitted quickly got readjusted!

Are you fitting them yourself? Or going with one of their recommended guys?

Thanks. We will either use their guys if that's a reasonable option or go with our local joiner..who is often hard to track down!