Smoke alarm question

H F

We've been in our house now for a year and we have 8-10 of these smoke alarms throughout the house. This morning we were rudely woken up when all the alarms went off.

We rushed from room to room, and there was no fire, semblance of smoke or anything that might have triggered it. Within 2 minutes, the alarms went off.

Do we need to have them inspected and checked out? They were installed about 3 years ago, and it says replace by 2027 on the lids. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_1459.jpg

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Check one isn’t a CO sensor and that has set them off. Not a lot you can really check on an ionization smoke alarm. 

But are they all ionisation alarms? 

If theres 8-10 alarms (?) I’d guess some are optical? I’m which case I’d blame spiders not smoke.

3 minutes ago, daiking said:

But are they all ionisation alarms? 

Yes, all of them are exactly the same. I don't see a single one that is optical.

Edited by Home Farm

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Check one isn’t a CO sensor and that has set them off. Not a lot you can really check on an ionization smoke alarm. 

The CO2 sensors are not "wired" into the smoke detectors. They're all battery operated and scattered around the house (where we have fireplaces, kitchen, utility room, etc.)

The noise that comes out these things is piercing - really gives the nervous system a jolt. Not a great way to get woken up and the poor cats got the fright of their lives.

First thing, they are Aico alarms, imho the best you can get.

Don't discount that there may have been an issue, did you have any heating on, anything that could be smouldering?  They will trigger long before a room is full of smoke.  You should really have a heat alarm in the kitchen, not a smoke alarm.  Being Aico you can swap the kitchen ionisation alarm for a heat alarm just by sliding one off it's base and sliding the replacement on. No need for an electrician.

Aico sell a clever switch that you can link into the system that when pressed will identify which alarm has triggered, it might be worth getting one of those fitted.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Being Aico you can swap the kitchen ionisation alarm for a heat alarm just by sliding one off it's base and sliding the replacement on. No need for an electrician.

That's really interesting. I will definitely look into it.

We were still in bed when they went off, and no signs of anything untoward anywhere in the house.

I will also look into the switch you mentioned, because running around the house was a bit comical this morning.

Edited by Home Farm

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Aico sell a clever switch that you can link into the system that when pressed will identify which alarm has triggered, it might be worth getting one of those fitted.

I assume that we will need an electrician to fit this?

6 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

I assume that we will need an electrician to fit this?

This is the device https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aico-Ei1529rc-Ei1529-Alarm-Remote-Test-Hush-Locator-Switch/293030933347?epid=2254772143&hash=item443a013363:g:hNIAAOSw4oFcoikA

You don't legally need an electrician, it depends on your competence.  It will need to connect with a bit of 1mm 3 core and earth cable to any one of the existing smoke alarms, and that usually boils down to which is easiest to get access to.  Usually an upstairs one with access from a loft above.

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

it depends on your competence

And therein lies the problem ?

Having read your description though, that may well be something I can do... always willing to give it a go with my burgeoning DIY skills.

55 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

The noise that comes out these things is piercing - really gives the nervous system a jolt. Not a great way to get woken up and the poor cats got the fright of their lives.

(Updated - spotted that they are hard wired).

It is the case that fire alarms sometimes go off for spurious reasons. Usually test and no need to worry.

Aico are a good recoognised brand, and it sounds as if you have the 10 year rechargeable battery wired interlinked type. 

I would check that your system has what is needed - especially CO by any gas appliances and a Heat (toast proof) alarm in the kitchen (use the one from there somewhere else if appropriate). 

Who knows, by 2027 you may want to do sprinklers instead. I can see an argument for sprinklers in a house like yours - relatively isolated and old, and by 2027 Wales may have made the general market price lower. 

You recently expressed wallet-pain, and a full set of kit could be (guestimating) about £500 or more, depending what level of features you go for. When I did AICO wired in my mst recent refurb (5-6 rooms plus hall), the bits were the best part of £250 or a little more.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

25 minutes ago, ProDave said:

This is the device https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aico-Ei1529rc-Ei1529-Alarm-Remote-Test-Hush-Locator-Switch/293030933347?epid=2254772143&hash=item443a013363:g:hNIAAOSw4oFcoikA

You don't legally need an electrician, it depends on your competence.  It will need to connect with a bit of 1mm 3 core and earth cable to any one of the existing smoke alarms, and that usually boils down to which is easiest to get access to.  Usually an upstairs one with access from a loft above.

Does this work with all AICO alarm systems? Look useful - mine are hardwired interlinked.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I routinely fit those switches as there is just no way of determining where a detection has occurred otherwise. They hush, and you can test with them too, great when you have vaulted ceilings. 

2 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

always willing to give it a go with my burgeoning DIY skills.

It's a tight fit getting 2 sets of cables into a smoke base, so try and find the last one to connect the cables for the switch as it'll only have a single cable at the moment. Be very careful that all 3 wires are in and tight if you go for one that has 2 wires in it already, and normal practice would be to tug on each individual cable after you're done tightening up to see if any of them just 'pop out' ;)  Just remember if you interfere with the smoke detection cabling along the rout through the house, and you bugger it up, you may have inadvertently removed the trigger wire from a lot of downstream detectors, so beware. Test everything thoroughly afterwards ! 

• Like 1

Good point about multiple wires.  The junction boxes are not big, and if the existing are wired in 1.5mm cable, you may struggle to get a third one in.  I can never understand why people use 1.5, in most cases 1mm is fine and a lot easier.

And good point about CO alarms.  As well as it should be a heat alarm in a kitchen, you should also have a CO alarm in any room with a combustion appliance, and a room that a flue pipe passes through.  Aico do a handy combined heat and CO alarm, but they don't do a matching combined smoke and CO alarm (when I asked them recently they said they are thinking about it) Which irritated a recent customer who now has separate smoke and CO alarms on his living room ceiling.

42 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Who knows, by 2027 you may want to do sprinklers instead. I can see an argument for sprinklers in a house like yours

Not sure if I'd have the strength for that - the invasive job of installing sprinklers must be crazy. We also have no room in the ceiling between the ground and first floor, so that in itself will probably rule out sprinklers. 

The guys next door have sprinklers, and they're having the odd leak here and there too, but that's probably down to a bad installation. 

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I have Aico alarms - one in every habitable room and every hallway - over 4 storeys we have 11 plus an external sounder on the roof terrace. We have the switch that allow you to detect, test and silence.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Check one isn’t a CO sensor and that has set them off.

1 hour ago, Home Farm said:

The CO2 sensors are not "wired" into the smoke detectors.

CO (carbon monoxide) and CO₂ (carbon dioxide) are quite different things. CO kills you fairly quickly (e.g., overnight) though chronic exposure is also a problem, AIUI. CO₂ just makes you feel a bit groggy (unless it's up to ridiculously high levels) and warms the planet. High CO levels are a result of badly set up combustion appliances. Indoor CO₂ mostly comes from breathing and high levels are indicative of poor ventilation. CO should be at much lower concentrations (parts per billion) than CO₂ and is lethal at concentrations which are normal for CO₂ (500 to 1000 parts per million).

It'd be quite common for a modern house to have separate sensors for CO and CO₂. CO sensors are required in (most or all? new build and rental? dunno) houses with combustion appliances. CO₂ sensors and loggers are required in some houses (recent new builds in Scotland). The CO sensor may or may not be wired into the fire alarms. CO₂ sensors usually won't be.

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

Aico do a handy combined heat and CO alarm, but they don't do a matching combined smoke and CO alarm (when I asked them recently they said they are thinking about it) Which irritated a recent customer who now has separate smoke and CO alarms on his living room ceiling.

Sorry to take the original thread off but in response to ProDave, Our nest protect do just this, didn`t realise others dont or cant. A bit expensive if you need a few but they work well, look smart and they tell you where and what the activation is (email you too). Inbuilt night lamp works well for us as the hall and stairwell are illuminated just enough. 

39 minutes ago, SiBee said:

Our nest protect do just this

I understand that these deactivate after 10 years whether they are OK or not. I am not sure what parts become defective and why they cannot be replaced. There seems very little research into the 10 year lifespan and it seems that most smoke alarms fail because of dead batteries or disconnected power. I think the 10 year thing is environmentally irresponsible and a bit of an industry con.

I have 11 smoke alarms and if I went with the Google Nest I would need to pay at least £105 per year to the robbing bastards.