Rebar tool and wire

Vijay

Got to make up quite a few cages for lintels for my windows and doors on my ICF build. I've never made cages in my life, so I wondered which tool is easier to twist the wire, the one with the hook end or the one with the pliers end?

Also, is there a standard wire size for tying rebar?

Cheers

Vijay

2 hours ago, Vijay said:

[...]

I've never made cages in my life

[...]

I admire your attack. I wonder whether this might be a job for a wire rigger? 

Either that or ask @Onoff , @Construction Channel and @JSHarris  to pop in and sort it out for you. I watched our guy closely. And helped a bit. It's heavy going: sometimes three-four person work.

3 hours ago, Vijay said:

Got to make up quite a few cages for lintels for my windows and doors on my ICF build. I've never made cages in my life, so I wondered which tool is easier to twist the wire, the one with the hook end or the one with the pliers end?

Cheers

Vijay

Don’t bother - just buy them. 

Chances are they are a standard size, so they will be made from bent squares and rebar that’s just locked together. You can’t bend your own squares unless you’ve got a machine so you’ll buy those. You then need to buy the bar, and the pliers and make the jigs and by the time you’ve finished you may find they are cheaper than the materials ... 

This is one DIY job I would not bother trying ... 

Getting large pre-made cages would be a complete headache trying to get them in place. The plan is to buy the straight bar and bent link bars, then build them in situ, hence I asked about the tool and wire to tie the cage bits together ;)

4 hours ago, Vijay said:

Cheers

Vijay

Afraid I'm with Peter and can't imagine why you would want to make your own lintols. That said the tool depends on the wire. The one with a hook is for use on premade lengths of wire with loops on either end. Generally called a potato sack tier round here. 

The ones with the pliers on the end are for use on just plain wire you buy on a roll. 

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I'm sceptical of this. Every tool I found when looking about a year ago was a lot more than that. 

Sounds too good to be true.... 

It really is as simple as working on my own, getting large cages into place is a job I just don't fancy. I've had a chat with the ICF supplier and he agreed that it would be easier for me to make them in the ICF. Apart from plenty of sharp metal edges, why is it such a ballache to make them in place? :(

dont buy a tool you will never manoeuvre it in the wall it is a major pain in the arse, what you use are cable ties, you thread your links onto the bottom two bars and lift up as high as you can, insert a couple of chunks of 4x2 to keep it lifted high, then tie all your bottom links with the cable ties, when done remove the 4x2 and lower the cage into the wall, then slide in the top 2 bars and tie them. 

My longest lintel we made on site was just over 9m long with 16mm bars top and bottom, you would never lift it without mechanical assistance. 

Give me a call if you need a better explanation. 

1 hour ago, Vijay said:

It really is as simple as working on my own, getting large cages into place is a job I just don't fancy. I've had a chat with the ICF supplier and he agreed that it would be easier for me to make them in the ICF. Apart from plenty of sharp metal edges, why is it such a ballache to make them in place? :(

In fairness I have never worked on icf and Russell's picture does make it look a lot easier than I was thinking. 

I assumed there would be a lot more shuttering to mess about with and may have forgot you will be pouring the whole thing anyway ?

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I thought a lot of the ICF has plastic or metal webs so you only need horizontal rebar..??

Your rebar in icf is dependant on span, openings upto 900mm require just a couple of bits of 16mm bar straight across opening, larger spans get a bit more detailed. 

My 4m openings had 4x12mm straight bar,  with links every150mm

but my cantilevered sections had 16mm bar top and bottom 

the links are the smallest my rebar supplier could bend on their machine. EED5A69A-2FEB-43C2-878F-95317701F47B.thumb.jpeg.31be8803f715d22b71cf5dc84795529d.jpeg

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

dont buy a tool you will never manoeuvre it in the wall it is a major pain in the arse, what you use are cable ties, you thread your links onto the bottom two bars and lift up as high as you can, insert a couple of chunks of 4x2 to keep it lifted high, then tie all your bottom links with the cable ties, when done remove the 4x2 and lower the cage into the wall, then slide in the top 2 bars and tie them. 

My longest lintel we made on site was just over 9m long with 16mm bars top and bottom, you would never lift it without mechanical assistance. 

Give me a call if you need a better explanation. 

Never though of cable ties, but access isn't really a problem with Polarwall as I can fit the ICF panels as I go ;)

25 minutes ago, pocster said:

I did about 4000 ties by hand

Once complete my SE said I could of used zip ties !!!!!! So check !!!!!

I'll ask my S.E but I don't hold out much hope even getting an answer from him.....................

2 hours ago, Vijay said:

I could tie up a joint with a pair of nippers quicker than that. 

Sack ties and a twist tool are very quick if your inexperienced. 

I have a couple you could borrow, but you can probably buy one cheaper on e bay than the postage.