Radiator Distribution Pack 22mm
Radiator Distribution Pack
Dual Fuel Towel Radiator Pack 1.00
7 Radiators: Stelrad Softline Compact Vertical
IFLO 400W Heating Element and T-Piece
IFLO Straight Towel Rad 1800mm X 600mm Chrome
£4,000

9 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

At that figures I would be doing a DIY, just came across a samsung 9kw monoblock plus control box for £2600 inc vat. 

When you say you came across it you mean ebay or similar?

No doubt I could find a cheaper way of doing this install but I don't really have a clue. 

For you reference , here are 4  quotes I have so far for 160m2 house are (all with 200 L tanks):

ASHP (NIBE 8kw) £13,873 including UFH

ASHP (NIBE 12kw) £10,680, UTF £4294 with option for ASHP Stiebel-Eltron 7.5kw £11,768

ASHP (Pansonic Aquarea 12kw) £12,368  (no UFH quote) - in this they are quoting £3600 for the labour install which seems bonkers to me

ASHP (Unknown!) £11,250 , UFH £4700

They are all expensive, but there are not many installers to choose from around here. 3 are MCS registered. 2 have given RHI year paybacks as ranging from £1200 to £1500 year.

• Like 1

On 22/08/2019 at 08:03, Nickfromwales said:

Kudox radiators are B&Q / screwfix rubbish. Avoid the touching of, with a barge-pole....

Paint is wafer thin and they chip / damage easily. There's much better out there for not much more money ;)

Any suggestions of better quality for not much more money? Thanks

On 21/08/2019 at 21:34, ProDave said:

It has to be installed by an MCS registered installer. The HP itself must be on the approved list.

So I could buy the HP you linked to myself and get an MCS guy to fit it and qualify for RHI? Or do I have to buy the HP from the MCS installer? Thanks

21 minutes ago, Wagas said:

So I could buy the HP you linked to myself and get an MCS guy to fit it and qualify for RHI? Or do I have to buy the HP from the MCS installer? Thanks

I suspect there is no technical or legal reason why not. Best of luck now finding an MCS registered installer actually willing to do that and sign the MCS certificate.

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

I suspect there is no technical or legal reason why not. Best of luck now finding an MCS registered installer actually willing to do that and sign the MCS certificate.

And there in lays the problem. 

MCS guy can earn more elsewhere, or will just hammer you for the ‘cheek’ of it :S 

Where are you? I may have a guy who will help out, ( F-gas & MCS ). 

Do you stand to get a lot from the RHI payments? Eg do you want all the extra up-front capital expenditure without seeing first if it’s all worth it? ;) 

Would it be a really bad idea to put the water tank in the master bedroom? I'm struggling to find somewhere to put the tank due to its height. The 1st floor is attic truss/sloped ceilings so a near 2m tall tank has to be virtually in the middle of a first floor room.

The bedrooms are downstairs and the master has a huge wardrobe area. I'm thinking half wardrobe half airing cupboard.

I'm guessing most of the replies will be don't do it! Too hot/noisy for a bedroom?

1 hour ago, Wagas said:

The 1st floor is attic truss/sloped ceilings so a near 2m tall tank has to be virtually in the middle of a first floor room.

Be aware some pre plumbed cylinders require an additional expansion vessel (often placed above). Might be worth checking with the company.

19 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I stayed in a friends new built house in Manchester.

The water tank was in the spare bedroom cupboard.

The room was too hot (and I like the heat), noisy and because it was also an airing cupboard, humid.

I did not stay a second night.

As many here know, we had a big problem with the heat from our old thermal store, which was in a service area adjacent to a bedroom.  That made the bedroom too hot.   Our fix was to remove the thermal store and replace it with a Sunamp, which has much lower heat losses.  This completely fixed the problem, and freed up space, as the Sunamp is a lot smaller than a hot water tank.

Hot water tanks give out heat pretty much 24/7, irrespective of the temperature outside, so on a hot summer night the additional heat from the tank might not be very welcome.

8 hours ago, Wagas said:

The 1st floor is attic truss/sloped ceilings so a near 2m tall tank has to be virtually in the middle of a first floor room.

Telford do a horizontal UVC that may well fit in your eaves space. I think the Welsh windbag fitted one - @Nickfromwales isn’t that correct..?