How can I draft proof this kitchen cabinet?

We have a cabinet in our kitchen where our electricity metre is kept. The previous owners, as with many things in the house, did a horrible patch up job of 'insulating' this cabinet with bubble wrap as we get occasional drafts during the winter. It's a real mess inside - at least there aren't crisp packets, product packaging or splodges of silicon, which is a bonus on this occasion. 

I was going to use some board around it (and then paint it), but they cut a crescent shape as part of the top board so that you can see the metre and take readings, so I can't extend that board because it'll obscure the metre and I won't be able to submit readings.

This is doing my head in - does anyone have an ingenious suggestion that will allow me to draft proof this cabinet?

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg

You really need full access to the meter and supply head, not just the glimpse you have of it now.  So cut out the PB to expose the full extent of the meter board.

Work out where the gaps are and fill them probably with expanding foam. Then build a new meter cupboard, recessed into the wall as much as you can with a door on it. You can seal all cables entering your new cupboard.

Of course the sensible thing would have been to relocate the supply head and meter rather than build a kitchen around it, but that costs £££ as the DNO have to do it.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

That looks like an old meter, they are meant to be changed every 20 years I think.

What are the chances of moving it a bit, would it help.

Moving it down would help, but getting a tad tired of the escalating bills, and this sounds like a pricey option according to Dave. 

I've found the draft culprit - it's the extractor fan exhaust.

3 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

Moving it down would help, but getting a tad tired of the escalating bills, and this sounds like a pricey option according to Dave. 

Get an extractor that is either a constant trickle of that is your strategy, or with a a backdraft shutter.

Or an auto closing when no flow exhaust grill if the fan is OK.

F

Thanks Ferdinand. I suspect this is a cheap grill.

On an unrelated note, there are some bricks above the fan that need repointing. Can I just mix up a cement mixture and fill it in?

IMG_1437.jpg

5 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

That looks like an old meter, they are meant to be changed every 20 years I think.

It looks like a relic. Not sure how I'd establish the age really. 

6 hours ago, Home Farm said:

It may have to be moved as that is not accessible and neither is the head fuse. 

Looking at that it looks around a 1995 meter that’s potentially already been round the clock once..! I’d want it swapped, looks like plenty of wire to work with. 

Where is the consumer unit ..?

55 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Looking at that it looks around a 1995 meter that’s potentially already been round the clock once..! I’d want it swapped, looks like plenty of wire to work with. 

May I ask why they need replacing? Are they not accurate?

55 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

May I ask why they need replacing? Are they not accurate?

Various reasons, accuracy being one of them. They also degrade over time - those ones have some pretty big winding inside and the cases aren’t that strong. 

14 hours ago, Home Farm said:

Thanks Ferdinand. I suspect this is a cheap grill.

On an unrelated note, there are some bricks above the fan that need repointing. Can I just mix up a cement mixture and fill it in?

IMG_1437.jpg

I'll leave the pointing comment for someone else.

Those are the ones that click, aren't they?

You can get different types, or inline ones where it is against a weak spring.

Just need to think around how far you want to take your works eg new fan. Should be able to find something for a few £ only eg Amazon if just after the grill.  

I think I found one with this type of shutter, and a cowel over the end to stop in blowing about and clicking.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

17 hours ago, Home Farm said:

Asking a further q. May have made too many assumptions.

Is the culprit the gap around the exhaust, or that the exhaust is letting air in out because the shutter is open, or that the cupboard is actually a real part of the ventilation route?

Could you clarify?

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Is the culprit the gap around the exhaust, or that the exhaust is letting air in out because the shutter is open

When we get strong winds, we can hear the grill flapping around - in fact, we have another one a few metres from there that leads to the guest bathroom. I just don't think they're great quality and strong winds are able to get in, because the plastic flaps are not very strong. 

50 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Could we have a more general further out picture of the meter showing the kitchen cupboard that already encases it?

And a picture of the fuse box?

Sure, I'll try to post these later today.

Before I post photos of the fuse box, I want to tackle the source of this draft. I got the ladder out and scaled my way up to the culprit that's supposed to be preventing wind from blowing into the house. This cover is cheap and nasty. With the slight breeze that's around today, this thing is flapping, so I can understand why we're getting drafts inside when winds pick up.

The diameter of the pipe running into the house is 9.5cm and the cover has been glued onto it - typical.

So I'll need to get a decent cover that will allow air to leave from inside the house if the extractor fan is turned on, but we need something that'll be stronger and won't give in to winds blowing at it from outside. 

Any suggestions? Just scared to buy a replacement of Amazon or eBay that'll be equally as crap.

IMG_1482.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

10 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

if the ductwork is sealed correctly, then your draughty meterbox is unlikely to be caused by the shutter.

Given the shocking level of workmanship we're discovering on an almost daily basis, I would question whether anything is sealed correctly in this house, which is why we're considering replacing the shutter.