Block laying rates.

K78

26 minutes ago, K78 said:

What would be a fair laying rate per 100mm block in the NW at the moment?

I posted a job on mybuilder and have had quotes upto £3 per block!

Thanks 

I've had several jobs completed over the past 18 months, some were £PB and some were job rate. I am in Scotland - just north of Glasgow so take that into consideration. I would not pay more than £1.50 a block at current prices. I know some will say £2 per block is the going rate. £3 sounds high. 

My garage was about 480 block and cost me £350.00, it was simple 3 big walls and 2 columns essentially to the front, so 73p per block. Other things I have paid about £1-1.25 a block. Part of my extension worked out to be about £1.30 a block but then there were lots of cuts and lintels and what not so I reckon it all depends on what you need built.

• Like 1

Morning @K78

Here you are .... this is  based on SPONS 2016 prices - I'm not sure how to convert 100mm blocks to square meters - guess 10(?) 

If I'm right,  that would be (24*0.96) / sq meter - say £23 per sq meter / by 10 = £2.30 per block.

This  screenshot is for EXTERNAL walls -

1047152677_Screenshot2019-08-20at06_57_46.thumb.png.fa1b49ada59ab1882c1090bc906e557a.png

Just in case you meant INTERNAL walls ....

1943815812_Screenshot2019-08-20at07_12_05.thumb.png.3db94d1bb129935406c7afe73bb0b703.png

The numbers above are for Outer London, so multiply by 0.96 for Lancashire. (SPONS 2016, online downloaded 2019 )

Ian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

OP: How many blocks, how heavy and where?

Laying 150 19kg blocks down in the nosebleed course will be a custom price and more expensive than whole house rates above damp.

5000, 100mm 7n above DPC.

Prices have shocked me to say the least. 

4 hours ago, bassanclan said:

£2.30 per block from Spons is surely the price of the wall as built i.e. including cost of the block, mortar, ties etc?

Probably not being London prices. Blocks are over £1 each.

5 hours ago, bassanclan said:

£2.30 per block from Spons is surely the price of the wall as built i.e. including cost of the block, mortar, ties etc?

I dont care what anyone says, buying my own copy of SPONS together with the online access repaid the cost of the book many times over.

5 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

OP: How many blocks, how heavy and where?

Laying 150 19kg blocks down in the nosebleed course will be a custom price and more expensive than whole house rates above damp.

Brought a tear to my eye. 

You’re sounding like a pro already. 

Just need to top it off with “ no way I can get there this month” & “ would help if you get it bumped out for me.” :))

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/08/2019 at 17:34, Brickie said:

You’re sounding like a pro already. 

I was just listening to non brickie pros working on my site as they estimated the cost of my small footing wall job.

My garage blockwork is about 6ft high and looking fairly pro, just a few fat perps which I blame on my undesized 435mm wide blocks.

On 20/08/2019 at 15:52, K78 said:

5000, 100mm 7n above DPC.

Prices have shocked me to say the least. 

5000 sounds like a whole mid sized house both inner and exterior wall? You should be getting closer to those SPONS rates for that size of job. Did you impose short deadlines on the  quoting brickies? I was quoted £1.30 last year for the inner block wall element of a whole house. Another quote this year was about £2.30 a block for a small 300 block and brick footing wall job.

7n blocks can still vary in per block weight with Hemelites at 15kg then down to 9kg per block for something a little better than an aero crumble mixture. 

• 10 months later...
On 19/08/2019 at 19:36, Carrerahill said:

I've had several jobs completed over the past 18 months, some were £PB and some were job rate. I am in Scotland - just north of Glasgow so take that into consideration. I would not pay more than £1.50 a block at current prices. I know some will say £2 per block is the going rate. £3 sounds high. 

Just adding to this thread a little. 

@Carrerahill I'm just south of Glasgow and trying to figure out rates just now. (Don't have any bricky pals). I assume your 1.50 proce is just labour,  not including the block? 

That would seem to make sense then I can just add the block price. @bassanclan s comment above threw me off a little mentioning that would be a built wall including labour and materials. 

cheers.

On 28/06/2020 at 10:03, SuperJohnG said:

Just adding to this thread a little. 

@Carrerahill I'm just south of Glasgow and trying to figure out rates just now. (Don't have any bricky pals). I assume your 1.50 proce is just labour,  not including the block? 

That would seem to make sense then I can just add the block price. @bassanclan s comment above threw me off a little mentioning that would be a built wall including labour and materials. 

cheers.

Correct.

I have just done some very rough maths, my garage was just short of 500 blocks, call it 500, so labour worked out at 70p a block labour only, which if I simply add the cost of the materials order worked out at £1.70 a block - however, I had about 75 blocks left and maybe 75Kg of sand and some cement left too so really the cost was probably sub £1.60.

I'd always have brickies price for labour only as ordering block/sand/cement is something I'd always do.

Extension worked out at £1.50 labour - but to be honest the actual job price was fantastic, lots of windows/door so actually not a lot of block but many cuts (although I did most of them in the end) and lots of lintels etc. to bed in. Therefore I didn't care the cost was higher. As a job price it was very fair for the guys time on site. 

If someone said to me, they'd take £25 to core a 4" hole through a wall I'd say fine as that is worth it to me if I need that job done, but I can get a labourer to core holes all day for £150 and in a day I reckon could make a wall resemble Swiss cheese but at £25 for 1 I'd be happy. So there is always the balance of what is a job worth to you vs breaking it down to per unit cost. You also have to take into consideration the "turn up" price. Realistically some jobs might only take an hour, but that is on site, the guys got to get here.

If I wanted a single panel wall built for the garden and it was 80 blocks and someone said they would take £150.00 I'd think that was probably OK - but that is £1.88 a block - I would not be happy to pay £940 for my garage to be built. 

• 8 months later...

I am going though this process now, I've had one quote of labour and plant for £20.5k for above DPC 2 storey.

Lightweight blocks and using a bumpa lift to get the blocks to 'ground floor' from the basement / ground level (its a sloped site). Its not a standard home but the cost took me back.

Taking plant hire out of it its about £20k.

External façade area including openings is ~240m2 (cavity wall), with about 33m2 of internal single skin. It works out at £38.50 / m2 on a closed area basis. There is about 4400 blocks and works out at about £4.50 a block labour.

A brickie recommended to me who knows the site and build, just told me to price him at £22 / m2 on a closed area basis, which would work out at £2.60 a block, but includes lintels and insulation fitting.

Edited by Moonshine