Ruben

Central vacuum - thoughts?

3 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

which cordless Vax was that Jeremy? Recent?

This was around three years ago, not sure of the model as we threw it out over a year ago.  My wife bought it, on the basis that the Vax I'd owned since the early 1980swas a fantastic vacuum cleaner, if a bit large and noisy.  The expectation was that the cordless Vax would be similar.  The main problem with it was that it just didn't have any real suction.  It wasn't even any real use for little jobs, like cleaning the inside of the car, really because of that issue.

I'd echo what Jeremy says; Dyson is a premium product (and possibly a little overpriced) but the V10 Cordless is a revelation. All the suction of a normal hoover and enough battery in a single charge to do the whole house. 

Going back to the OP's post; I'm amazed there are still companies selling central vacuums. They're universally hated by anyone I know that installed one (for all the reasons listed in this thread) and a decent cordless is going to cost you less. 

Another dyson cordless lover here. And I hate apple. Got the v8 refurb

Actually I do think the apples are good phones I just can't bring myself to pay the premium as I don't get the most outof them. Hoover's I do get the full use

13 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Actually I do think the apples are good phones I just can't bring myself to pay the premium as I don't get the most outof them. Hoover's I do get the full use

I use my iPhone way more than the hoover! 😀

Great, thanks everyone here for saving me the money of installing a useless system. I think Henry will get a little more use yet!

6 hours ago, JSHarris said:

The difference (from our personal experience) is that the cordless Vax is a useless bit of junk that is hopeless as a vacuum cleaner whilst the Dyson cordless works very well indeed.

I have a cordless VAX vacuum (and a cordless hard floor cleaner too) and they work fine. I only have hard floors though so they don’t need such heavy duty suction as with carpet. The truly useless VAX I had was a robot one. Sent it back after a single use where it spent the entire time humping the bottom of the island stools and didn’t pick up anything. 

we got one from here   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dyson-V6-Animal-Extra-Cordless-Vacuum-Cleaner-Refurbished-1-Year-Guarantee/123875479518?hash=item1cd78dcfde:g:q9YAAOSwK39dVT6O

had seen a guy at work repairing dysons for everyone and their granny as they seemed to be nasty, cheap plastic, however, the fine dust it picks up is really surprising. two dogs, one when he shakes, it snows white hair and two long haired cats. btw we used to have a miele cat and dog to keep on top of them.