Bathroom starts !

Few extra questions 

Assume best to fix taps to sink then install sink ?

The supplied flexi hoses just hand screw into the tap ? - there appears no possible way to get any tool in there to tighten ....

Edited by pocster

Ok !

Believe the tails to Hep2o I need 

https://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/john-guest-speedfit-c432/john-guest-speedfit-brass-fittings-c171/john-guest-speedfit-brass-male-coupler-p3324

To align the trap to the waste I need 

https://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/pipe-fittings-c433/mcalpine-multifit-waste-c136/mcalpine-flexcon-flexcon-p18063

How do I know all this ?

Because I’m awesome ?

no

Because JTM plumbing are ace !!! 

2 hours ago, pocster said:

Assume best to fix taps to sink then install sink ?

Yes, but not the end of the world depending on the fixing type.

2 hours ago, pocster said:

The supplied flexi hoses just hand screw into the tap ? - there appears no possible way to get any tool in there to tighten ....

Yes - only hand tight - if you overtighten the rubber o ring will be forced out and they will leak.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, pocster said:

For reasons unknown I installed the sink waste as 40mm rather than 32mm . So adding a compression reducer makes it all rather awkward 

0C255F26-B559-453D-8F88-5B3D771A9815.jpeg

You do like to make things hard for yourself.

• Thanks 1

Well ! Water test and it leaks but around the sink waste .

Don’t understand the sink plug . When open to drain water will run out those side gaps surely ? . Only 2 washers . 1 in sink , 1 underneath. Can’t see anything else wrong 

EC82D4BE-4CA8-48D9-9407-CB743D3D7DBC.jpeg

EB067432-2158-4396-926A-451D87BADE97.jpeg

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Well ! Water test and it leaks but around the sink waste .

Don’t understand the sink plug . When open to drain water will run out those side gaps surely ? . Only 2 washers . 1 in sink , 1 underneath. Can’t see anything else wrong 

EC82D4BE-4CA8-48D9-9407-CB743D3D7DBC.jpeg

EB067432-2158-4396-926A-451D87BADE97.jpeg

Googling I see the slots are for the overflow to run into . But of course water through the plug hole will find that gap anyway . Rather crap design I think ! . Ptf tape around the upper part of the thread where the washer is ?? 

10 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Do yourself a favour and buy some hep 2o tap flexy then you can get rid of both of those hep fittings. 

They will push straight on and remove all those threaded bits. 

But they won’t have the correct ends for fixing into the tap will they ?

I'd do away with the washer on top, they tend to be a bit generic, one size squashes to fit "all". I'd put a big slug of BT1 etc around the waste. Similar principle to how I did my bath waste. Ditched the top washer, kept the one underneath. 

The top, baby wiped to finish:

20170120_185726

Same on the washer underneath:

20170120_185749

Tighten but do not let the top turn even if it means SWMBO standing above.

You want to compress rather than "smear" which will kick it all out of the joint (so @Nickfromwales said).

Just now, Onoff said:

Exactly where is it leaking? Around the black nut or where the white waste screws on?

Underneath . Where you just have the crap white washer then the black fixing nut . It’s really crap as water runs out from those overflow holes in the sink plug and therefore run down outside the mechanism .

5 minutes ago, pocster said:

Underneath . Where you just have the crap white washer then the black fixing nut . It’s really crap as water runs out from those overflow holes in the sink plug and therefore run down outside the mechanism .

I see I used Sikaflex on the sink waste. Tbh think I did on the bath too:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Drop the nut and plastic washer, big bead of CT1, and wind it back up. Put loads on, and clean the excess off with wipes. Don’t let it go up as far as the slots for the overflow runoff. 

Ok Uncle Nick - doing it now . Will test tomorrow ?

Edited by pocster