Spray Painting Outside of House

Ferdinand

Has anyone done this?

My sprayer (Wagner Project Pro 119 - a 720W, 200 bar, powerful machine) says nothing in the manual, but some "details" seem to insert an extra "and exterior" here, which is not in the manual:

"Lacquers and glazes containing water and solvents. Lacquers, oils, solvents, solvent, PVC lacquers, pre-lacquers, primers, fillers and anti-corrosion paints. Interior and exterior dispersion and emulsion paints. Also suitable for many types of thicker paint.".

Spraying the inside at the correct time can save days and days. Is this a similar opportunity?

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Don’t forget to cover the cars, mine still has the odd fleck of exterior wall paint on it 5 years after being misted by a neighbour using masonry paint on a day with a slight breeze.

To be honest I only noticed the issue when I came to wash it a week or so after the incident and could feel, then see, tiny raised blobs of paint. Most came off with washing, but there’s still some  on there even now.

13 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Does anybody ave an idea which exterior paints would be suitable for spraying?

I think most can probably be sprayed, but those that have a high granular mineral content (like Sandtex, for example) may be more difficult and cause a lot of nozzle wear.  Probably best to ask the individual manufacturers, as it's fairly common to spray exterior paint commercially, so they will almost certainly have tested their paints with high pressure spray equipment.

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

I think most can probably be sprayed, but those that have a high granular mineral content (like Sandtex, for example) may be more difficult and cause a lot of nozzle wear.  Probably best to ask the individual manufacturers, as it's fairly common to spray exterior paint commercially, so they will almost certainly have tested their paints with high pressure spray equipment.

Sandtex do an untra smooth range, which is more prominent in the sheds now iirc.

I think one key thing is how much latex (?) is in it. For interiors I know that Armistead, Normal Valspar, and Leyland Trade contract work for me.

And that anything with Dulux on it is like jelly down a drain.

F

On 18/08/2019 at 09:59, Triassic said:

Don’t forget to cover the cars, mine still has the odd fleck of exterior wall paint on it 5 years after being misted by a neighbour using masonry paint on a day with a slight breeze.

To be honest I only noticed the issue when I came to wash it a week or so after the incident and could feel, then see, tiny raised blobs of paint. Most came off with washing, but there’s still some  on there even now.

Claybar?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, K78 said:

I tested my Wagner 3.21 (Titan 440i) on exterior fencing. I was really impressed. 

HEA pro tips make the job easier as they are low pressure. 

I think mine came with a full set of nearly everything - except possibly the XL tip.

Looks like T who want her pebbledash spraying may be about to have it done after nearly a decade of campaigning, as I now have a way to redo it without excessive pain. Just need to decide about cleaning / repair first (120 year old pebbledash at least), and what we do about the moulded in fake quoins.

Ferdinand

1 hour ago, scottishjohn said:

how close are your neighbours ?

overspray will go along way and as it will be house paint it stays wet for much longer ,so will stick to what ever it hits -

‘The low pressure tips really reduce overspray. The are shockingly good.