Putting Off the Paperwork

Triassic

I’ve been putting off updating my “actual costs” spreadsheet and have accumulated around six months invoices and receipts. It’s taken me five hours to print them all off, enter the details into my VAT reclaim spreadsheet and to then file them in date order.

The good thing is, I’m on target to finish the whole build at around £1150 per metre square.  All I need to do now is get a local estate agent to value the place to see if it’s been worth the effort so far and if it’s worth upping the internal specification a tad to maximise final value, not that I’m gone to sell, just interested !?

• Like 3

The main reason for upping the spec German baths and kitchen 

Was the estate agent He said at £750000 a buyer would expect a high spec German kitchen Or tip out what is there Apart from spending £7000 on the Appliances four on quarts The actual kitchens 

Didn’t cost much more than Wickes 

8 hours ago, nod said:

The main reason for upping the spec German baths and kitchen 

Was the estate agent He said at £750000 a buyer would expect a high spec German kitchen Or tip out what is there Apart from spending £7000 on the Appliances four on quarts The actual kitchens 

Didn’t cost much more than Wickes 

Wickes list price or actual price? ? I have never bought from them but they always seem to have 50 percent off offers, minus another 20% on the normal Wickes wrinkles.

When I bought the current house from a self-rebuilder it was remarked that the kitchen was like a Wickes range ... this was when they had about 17 shades of off white named after exotic countries that did not quite match any of each other yet made it impossible to tell which one you actually had ... and the chap was seriously offended. 

Not sure if I have ever seen a quote from a kitchen place that did not have discounts of 60% to 90% claimed.

F

10 hours ago, Triassic said:

All I need to do now is get a local estate agent to value the place to see if it’s been worth the effort so far

Has anyone done this or is it just stuff of TV house programmes? Please share your stories of how it went.

1 hour ago, Triassic said:

Has anyone done this or is it just stuff of TV house programmes? Please share your stories of how it went.

Most are happy to come and give you a valuation Once water tight

If only to get your business when you sell your current home 

The one we chose is a large independent A young lady called us from his office every month for a year to see how we were getting on

We had overspent on Groundworks and had about to start first fixing 

Do we pull the overspend back Or go ahead with the planed fit out 

It’s a tricky one 

Even if your not thinking of selling you don’t want to spend more than the market value 

Back to forever home You never know what is around the corner 

My wife’s furious with me 

I’ve made an offer on two plots of land 

While she doesn’t refer to our house as forever She has no intention of selling anytime soon 

14 minutes ago, nod said:

[...]

The one we chose [...] a large independent [...] young lady called us from [the] office every month for a year to see how we were getting on

[...]

Come on lad, what's yer secret?

Plenty come past our build every day. Not one of them stops. Most are running (away)

12 hours ago, Triassic said:

The good thing is, I’m on target to finish the whole build at around £1150 per metre square.

Is that £1150/m2 just materials and labour for your VAT reclaim or does it include all costs for paperwork, utilities, landscaping, tools bought for specific jobs etc.

9 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Come on lad, what's yer secret?

Plenty come past our build every day. Not one of them stops. Most are running (away)

Give Chris Dewhirst a call Of Dewhirst’s estates 

He still does all the valuations 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Wickes list price or actual price? ? I have never bought from them but they always seem to have 50 percent off offers, minus another 20% on the normal Wickes wrinkles.

When I bought the current house from a self-rebuilder it was remarked that the kitchen was like a Wickes range ... this was when they had about 17 shades of off white named after exotic countries that did not quite match any of each other yet made it impossible to tell which one you actually had ... and the chap was seriously offended. 

Not sure if I have ever seen a quote from a kitchen place that did not have discounts of 60% to 90% claimed.

F

I should have said Getting an exact price from Wickes is like pulling Teeth 

They seem to have that 50% off fitting most of the time 

For me that would be worrying if fitters are working for half pay 

They told us all fitters are employed by them 

But while we where in They were telling someone We have left numerous messages with the fitter 

He could even be on holiday 

4 hours ago, Triassic said:

We had a valuation based on our drawings and a site visit to the plot, after the ground works had been completed, but before the house was erected.  It was a local valuer, rather than an estate agent, as the valuation was for our small self-build mortgage.  IIRC it cost around £150 or so.  Probably reasonably accurate, as a couple of houses in the village have sold in the past couple of years, and their sale prices seem to fit roughly with the valuation we had.  Only issue I had was that the valuer knocked 5% off because the house was (in his words, not mine) an "eco house".  I detest that term, as it's meaningless greenwash, but he took the view that a low energy house would only appeal to a small number of potential buyers.  No idea why at all.

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Did anyone do any paperwork this weekend then?

No.

I have help on the weekend, so sitting in the office shoving molecules round a hard disk doesn't count as sensible use of SWMBO's time. Got the guttering up. Its working hard at the moment.

However, yearly income and expenditure review well underway this morning: only two Whassat? moments to date. Lunch and then gym. Monday's my day off. ☺️

43 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

No.

I have help on the weekend, so sitting in the office shoving molecules round a hard disk doesn't count as sensible use of SWMBO's time. Got the guttering up. Its working hard at the moment.

However, yearly income and expenditure review well underway this morning: only two Whassat? moments to date. Lunch and then gym. Monday's my day off. ☺️

You get a day off? Really!!

36 minutes ago, Pete said:

You get a day off? Really!!

A hard won, beneficial insight.

Recommended for everyone, at whatever frequency that can be managed.

(Sorry - that sounds po-faced. Not intended.)

Edited by Ferdinand

On 18/08/2019 at 08:57, PeterStarck said:

Is that £1150/m2 just materials and labour for your VAT reclaim or does it include all costs for paperwork, utilities, landscaping, tools bought for specific jobs etc.

The £1150 is for labour and materials to build the house (inc VAT) fees were £11k and tools add up to £12k, including a digger at £5k, a small pedestrian dumper at £1800 and scaffold at £4k,  these will be sold after the build.

landscaping will be extra, I’m thinking I’ll need to spend around £15k, this will include tarmacing the drive and hard landscaping materials. 

Just added up the  VAT reclaim and it’s around £15k so far, possibly around £20k when I’ve finished.

• Thanks 1