I built a new house today...

Some left over OSB and EPDM (from roofing the shed), a few screws and stainless staples and, voila, one weatherproof home.

Awaiting EPC and building regs sign-off, but with luck the new occupants can move in very soon. 

Tomorrow's job is to position an Arlo camera in the hope of getting some video footage of our spiky friends ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, NSS said:

Tomorrow's job is to position an Arlo camera in the hope of getting some video footage of our spiky friends

We've got some great footage of the hedgehogs in our garden. We put peanuts out for them and we've filmed them fighting, mating etc. We've also caught on video voles and a pair of mice that pinch some of the peanuts before the hedgehogs come. I'm hoping to have time to make a hedgehog house for them to hibernate in this winter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

We've got some great footage of the hedgehogs in our garden. We put peanuts out for them and we've filmed them fighting, mating etc. We've also caught on video voles and a pair of mice that pinch some of the peanuts before the hedgehogs come. I'm hoping to have time to make a hedgehog house for them to hibernate in this winter.

Peanuts it will be then. Do they prefer salted or dry roasted? ?

5 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

They get the bird's peanuts, in fact they eat anything left on the ground that the birds have missed.

Just been reading up on this and according to thehedgehog.co.uk "We also used to suggest chopped peanuts, but recent research shows that hedgehogs eating larger quantities of these, can suffer from brittle bones as the calcium gets leaked out of the system by eating too many."

Cat food, particularly chicken flavour, appears popular so may give that a try, but bacon is another no no - presumably they turn into Porkupines ?

• Haha 3

I'd heard that dog/cat food was recommended, but the snags with that seems to be that it might attract other, less desirable, creatures, plus if it doesn't get eaten then I'd guess things might quickly get a bit smelly.

One answer might be to find a way to selectively attract slugs to an area where hedgehogs gather.  Just need to find some sort of slug attractant...

11 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Just need to find some sort of slug attractant...

They love our Hosta plants. Perhaps I'll plant a few around the 'house'.

Edited by NSS
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

We need to know the cost per square metre of this new house.

No idea. GIA is 0.156 m2 and the materials cost next to knack all, but the brownie points earned from Mrs NSS are absolutely priceless ?

18 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Great thread. I might be able to get some Buffalo board offcuts to make one (some). Should outlast OSB.

You'll need to upscale the dimensions of that plan if you want to house Buffalo in it! ?

Edited by NSS
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Guess at the mo they're just eating &  sniffing around the outside rather than venturing into the box until they're more settled about it?

Yep, I'm just amazed we've had visitors so soon.