Sign off before garage is built

I met our architect yesterday and during the conversation he asked about how far away from sign off we were, there’s not a lot to do with the house to achieve this however when I said the garage wasn’t built yet he said he thought that with the garage being on the same building warrant as the house we wouldn’t get sign off until it was built or if we wanted sign off before it was built we would have to remove it from the warrant, just wondering if anyone has any experience of this?

Mine was added as part of permitted development later but when the BCO came to look at the build he said 'not interested in the detached garage'. I think the only way you will know for certain is if you ask them. I wouldn't be too keen to move it from all of the plans however as then you can't reclaim the VAT on it. 

Might also depend if the size / nature of the garage means it would need a building warrant?

I know I put a couple of somewhat unrelated minor things from our "at some point" list on my extension warrant to save having to pay a separate warrant fee later. The advice I had was that would of course mean I'd have to do them before I could get completion for the extension.

If the garage would be outside warrant requirements they might be less concerned.

6 minutes ago, newhome said:

Mine was added as part of permitted development later but when the BCO came to look at the build he said 'not interested in the detached garage'. I think the only way you will know for certain is if you ask them. I wouldn't be too keen to move it from all of the plans however as then you can't reclaim the VAT on it. 

Presumably if left on the planning permission but removed from the building warrant that wouldn't matter, or do HMRC look at both?

12 minutes ago, andyscotland said:

Presumably if left on the planning permission but removed from the building warrant that wouldn't matter, or do HMRC look at both?

You have to send approved plans so I sent the plans signed off by building control. Depends if there are other plans that sit alongside the PP that are suitable I guess. 

• Like 1