Energy provider and FiT

H F

Our existing energy provider is OVO. We pay 14.5p per kW and feed-in-tariff is registered with them.

Our DNO IS Scottish Power and they won’t fit an Economy 7 meter.

Our contract with OVO is coming to an end, and they want to increase our fee to 15.7p. I was going to shop around, and if I find a new cheaper provider  does anyone know what happens to our FiT payments? Do I need to register again with the new provider?

FiT is completely separate from energy supply, so you can have the FiT paid by one supplier and buy your energy from another one.  For example, we get paid FiT by SSE yet buy electricity from Bulb. 

Also, DNOs don't supply and fit meters, suppliers do.  If you want an E7 meter then you need to ask your supplier to fit one.  Some smaller suppliers may not offer an E7 tariff, though, so won't be able to fit an E7 meter.

The responsibility for the various bits of your supply is split into three.  The DNO is responsible for the cable coming into the property, up to, and including, the main fuse.  Your supplier is responsible for the cables from the main fuse to the meter, and the meter itself, you are responsible for the cables from the meter to your consumer unit, and everything downstream from there.

Thanks Jeremy.

So if I leave OVO I will continue to receive FiT payments into the future. Correct?

Interesting about Economy 7. Both E-ON (previous provider) and OVO told me to contact our DNO.

How have Bulb in. I considered them a while back and went with OVO. Do Bulb have an Economy 7 meter?

1 minute ago, Home Farm said:

Thanks Jeremy.

So if I leave OVO I will continue to receive FiT payments into the future. Correct?

Interesting about Economy 7. Both E-ON (previous provider) and OVO told me to contact our DNO.

How have Bulb in. I considered them a while back and went with OVO. Do Bulb have an Economy 7 meter?

Yes, OVO will continue to pay your FiT and read your generation meter from time to time.

DNOs cannot supply and fit meters, as it's outwith their area of responsibility.  Metering is a supplier function, so all meters are effectively "owned" by suppliers, not the DNO (it's a bit more complex, as meters pass from supplier to supplier in terms of responsibility, as people switch).

We had our E7 meter fitted by SSE just before we switched to Bulb, as I'd heard that Bulb could be really slow to change meters.  SSE changed our meter quickly (within a couple of weeks of the request) for no charge.  I think there may have been a charge for a meter change from Bulb.  Bulb have been supplying us on an E7 tariff since January this year, with no problems.

WPD (DNO) stepped in to takeover the domestic metering at one stage, think the company doing it pulled out the market.  I don't know if they physically fitted the meters.

Last year I noticed that Morrisons (not the supermarket) was reading the meters.

So there may be cases where the DNO does fit the meter, 

9 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

WPD (DNO) stepped in to takeover the domestic metering at one stage, think the company doing it pulled out the market.  I don't know if they physically fitted the meters.

Last year I noticed that Morrisons (not the supermarket) was reading the meters.

So there may be cases where the DNO does fit the meter, 

The DNO may  appear to provide the fitting service in some cases, but they are prohibited from owning or being responsible for the meter (in England and Wales).  When the market was deregulated the new regulations prohibited DNOs from involvement in the supplier side business.  There are a number of companies that are sub-contracted by suppliers (not DNOs) to install meters, but they are always acting on behalf of the supplier.

SEE still pay the FIT on our old house even though they have changed energy supplier at least twice. 

So are you saying you want to switch to Economy 7?  

If so as an example Octopus do Economy 7, their rates at the moment are 18.018p per KWh day and 11.382p off peak

If you choose to sign up with them, PM me for a referal code to get £50 off as a new customer.

EDF do E7.  For years they have been my best provider, but recently they have been one of the most expensive.

This may change as the wholesale price has dropped.  I know someone that just fixed his price with one of the smaller companies (can't remember who), then found out that he could have saved 20% by going to EDF.

My problem is that I cannot save a vast amount as I am a low user, and I like quarterly billing.  So stuck with standard tariffs after a misreading that left me with £90 bank charges.

30 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So are you saying you want to switch to Economy 7?  

If so as an example Octopus do Economy 7, their rates at the moment are 18.018p per KWh day and 11.382p off peak

I’m considering Economy 7. We work from home, so use a lot of daytime power. Will some maths.

will pm you if Octopus is viable.

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

For E7 to be worthwhile you need to use more on the night rate than you do on the day rate.  Though you have PV don't you so that should cut down your day usage for most of the year?

Yes, we have PV so that’ll help. Will crunch numbers this weekend.

4 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

Are they an electricity provider? 

Go to their website, it is horrible and disruptive.

I suspect they are going to be another supplier that is not about long.

Edited by SteamyTea

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Go to their website, it is horrible and disruptive.

I suspect they are going to be another supplier that is not about long.

Their website is annoying as hell and I share your sentiment on their potential longevity. I wonder how social angle will impact of FiT?

They may be claiming the FiTs and then giving it back, minus a cut, as part of the sharing deal.

Similar to what 'Roof for Rent' schemes did.  They allowed you to self consume as much as you could because they were getting the 41p/kWh, plus all the 50% deemed export regardless.

Like any decentralised system, it needs a critical mass of compliant consumers.

Edited by SteamyTea

I thought I would go and have a look at Social Energy, to find out what there unit prices were for electricity.

I could not find that basic information.

All I could get is "book an appointment for a home survey.  That just got my back up.

Just had a look, Social Energy has to be the most annoying supplier website I've seen.  Zero information about their tariff rates, so there's no way of being able to see if they offer good value.  I'm inherently extremely suspicious about any company that only does business via a home appointment, as 99.99% of the time that's just an excuse to get a foot through your door to try "double glazing sales" tactics.  If they can afford to employ an army of people to spend time doing home visits then their cost base must a great deal greater than any of the multitude of suppliers that let you just sign up online or over the phone, so I very much doubt that they will be good value.

We're currently with Bulb, on their standard E7 tariff, which is 15.729p/kWh peak rate, 8.148p/kWh off-peak rate and 20.44p/day standing charge.  Currently about 57% of our consumption has been at the off-peak rate. 

I’ve just this relating to Social Energy:

They also have or had a director who was also associated at some time with the following infamous energy suppliers:

GB Energy Supply Ltd - in Liquidation
Future Energy Utilities Ltd - Dissolved
Our Power Energy Supply Ltd - in Administration 
Brilliant Energy Supply Ltd - in Administartion
Oneselect Ltd - in Administration
Snowdrop Energy Supply Ltd - in Liquidation