Wonky roof tile new build

bBooth

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

That is actually the minimum reqd to get a mortgage.

Yes but plainly ridiculous when you’ve bought a house with 3 bathrooms that is supposed to be finished. 

On 16/08/2019 at 16:12, nod said:

Why would you care how they did it?

The guys who roofed it would have been lucky to get a grand got the whole roof.

You're rattling on about crowbars and the easiest way to sort this out.

I think he just wants his roof looking right.

Or am I missing something?

I don't see the point in your post at all! Just to have a dig and vent? This forum is famed for its friendly atmosphere and helpful members, certainly not those who post simply to poke disgruntled commentary. 

This is a building forum, a building forum almost entirely subscribed to by self builders and home renovation DIYers or people who take a vested interest in their properties and how it all goes together. The OP wanted to know if it was right or not, we all agreed no it was not (as he himself suspected). 

You popped up a post suggesting what they would need to do to sort it and made a surmission that it was "Not a quick fix", and that they would need to "...strip back from the top to get at the lower Batons"

I then posted commenting on how I suspected the issue came about and how it would need to be resolved and gave some anecdotal information on roofing issues and how these things could come about - things I learnt the hard way because there is not a plethora of roofing information out there owing to the fact it is little done as a DIY project. I suspect it grated with you when I pointed out that you need not strip entire roofs and then explained to you how it was done, it was an education, now you know - might save you money one day. It was a comment given in the friendliest of terms. 

Now, you will have noticed that people on this forum take a lot of pride in their work and also take a lot of time to detail and explain things, there are some well known members who can easily fill a page with excellent advice and experience to help solve issues or help to be able to best choose a detail, procedure or product. The detail given is fine, and it is always in the detail, so we like fine details!

So yes, he does want his roof looking right, and now he probably knows thanks to most of the good posts in the thread that it is wrong, as he knew, and that the builders ought not to complain to much as it is a quick enough fix. 

So, are you are missing something? Yes, the point of this entire forum! The next time I ask someone about a piece of insulation and I get a whole posting about the pro's and con's and temperature readings and thermal efficiency I will certainly not be lambasting them for posting the potentially irrelevant, but nonetheless very informative and very helpful advice.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/08/2019 at 12:30, bBooth said:

Seen my new build progressing and now scaffolding has been reduced the roof tiles to the right side look wonky, probably thinking battens not running parallel and been tiled after, but would of expected the roofers to correct before finishing- is this something that the builder would put right or does it fall into NHBC tolerances, not completed yet so wanted your views on is this normal or is it a bad job cheersB45594DB-5F08-4B96-9105-AAFF04BB7B40.thumb.jpeg.f0fdf563f20d14067e4f99b6e792b866.jpeg 

B1CC5DEF-989D-4876-B6E9-969C39804263.jpeg

Roofer here. Whoever done this never battened the roof correctly. You should work your way down from the top of the dormer while measuring both side of the batten.

It can be fixed without stripping the full roof back but that would mean 6 tiles would not be fixed with a nail. Could narrow it down to one if they used clips.

• Like 1