Steel Panel - Development Drawing

Barney12

Hi All

(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but couldn't decide where it should go)

So, as part of my landscape design I need a curved piece of corten steel. Simple so far apart from the fact it also has two tapers (As its being built into a slope. Every fabricator I go to says they need a "development drawing" which is pushing my CAD knowledge to the limit. I've attached what I've drawn in Sketchup (the section in question is '2'). Is there someone cleverer than me that can enlighten me?

Huge thanks in advance. 

Cor-Ten Steel.pdf

If you want four separate bits of metal delivered I recommend providing four separate drawings. 

A development drawing is just a template used to cut the flat sheet before bending.  So its trivial for flat parts.

For section 2 (the curved part) you appear to have drawn the development correctly on the left hand side but its missing one dimension. That dimension appears to be the length from point 1 to point 2 which I make 4.2 * pi/2 = 6.597m. You should write "Development" on that bit of the drawing.

Edited by Temp

PS. I recommend calling the bits of metal "Parts" or "Items"rather than "Sections" because a "section" on a drawing is normally a cross sectional view. When someone sees "Section 2" on a drawing they think its the view you would get if the part was cut along line 2.

6 hours ago, Temp said:

If you want four separate bits of metal delivered I recommend providing four separate drawings. 

A development drawing is just a template used to cut the flat sheet before bending.  So its trivial for flat parts.

For section 2 (the curved part) you appear to have drawn the development correctly on the left hand side but its missing one dimension. That dimension appears to be the length from point 1 to point 2 which I make 4.2 * pi/2 = 6.597m. You should write "Development" on that bit of the drawing.

Thanks. After posting I did a bit of Googling and realised just that and brushed off my GCSE maths ? What you’ve written is exactly what I went back with and they were happy. 

6 hours ago, Temp said:

PS. I recommend calling the bits of metal "Parts" or "Items"rather than "Sections" because a "section" on a drawing is normally a cross sectional view. When someone sees "Section 2" on a drawing they think its the view you would get if the part was cut along line 2.

Thanks for the tips. My CAD knowledge is all rather self taught. ?