I just hate skirting boards!

canalsiderenovation

We went for a stepped skirting board as I hate anything curved.

Builders like to use curved skirting as it is harder to chip the edges so they can bash it about.

I had always thought we would have wood but I decided I like the contrast between wooden doors/floors and white frames/skirting.

It is way neater to put the flooring down first.

I did a bit of research and it seems that a lot of the yellowing is due to using oil based gloss which goes on slightly easier for the painter. We used water based gloss which should not yellow as well as making cleaning up a lot easier when you paint.

An issue we have had is that the painters did a really bad job on filling and painting the joints. The builders will have to redo quite a few of them at the 12 month point.

IMG_7084_2.JPG

Edited by AliG
  • Like 2

Thanks @canalsiderenovation  It is an Optimyst fake fire, we just had the marble surround installed there. I need to touch in where they scraped the paint doing it.

I don't know if anyone else can comment, but with no carpets at all in the house and MVHR there is vastly less dust than in previous houses. I don't know if it is the lack of carpets or MVHR that helps. The skirting boards have not needed touched since building work and the related dust ended. Indeed I just do not see the build up of dust anywhere.

I decided against shadow gaps for practical reasons....cleaners are bad enough chipping paintwork never mind plaster.......I went for a skirting tile.  Not cheap but it gives me a cohesive look as I have the same tiles running throughout.  Would have been a lot cheaper with regular skirtings or shadow gaps and the tiler hated me for the cut outs for the floor washers...had to have a special bit made to cut the hole in the porcelain skirting tile to the exact size.

Nothing is easy, or perfect, or cheap!

24 minutes ago, AliG said:

I don't know if anyone else can comment, but with no carpets at all in the house and MVHR there is vastly less dust than in previous houses. I don't know if it is the lack of carpets or MVHR that helps. The skirting boards have not needed touched since building work and the related dust ended. Indeed I just do not see the build up of dust anywhere.

Same here.  I did the cleaning today, and there's barely any dust.  I have a feeling it's the MVHR that makes the biggest difference, just by filtering all the air that comes in.

My house is very dusty. My filters are filthy. I have enrolled in the PH research programme on air pollution and sending sample of my used filters in at every change (usually about 6 weeks) I am not in a city I am on top of an exposed ridge with fields all around.  I think the windy exposed location blows a huge amount of dust about when the weather is dry. I open my sliders a lot because of the dog, no doubt if doors were hardly ever open there would be less dust.

8 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Skirtings.

I would recommend pre-primed. Very little extra cost fro what it saves.

Mine came from Ron Currie's, family firm who have a huge internet presence.

https://roncurrie.co.uk/skirting-and-architrave

Hint. Paint first.

IMG_0358-small.thumb.jpg.9710eaeede07c8312314e71b941d4094.jpg

Thanks for that supplier tip - looks promising. But more particularly for making me feel a whole lot better about the current tidiness (or otherwise) of my site ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, andyscotland said:

Thanks for that supplier tip - looks promising. But more particularly for making me feel a whole lot better about the current tidiness (or otherwise) of my site ?

Couln’t possibly comment, except that all the other rooms had to be empty for spraying. /excuse.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, andyscotland said:

When I did mine I got samples from two or three onlines, and Curries who are 2 miles away - and there was very little difference in quality of finish. So I went with RCs .

My house is very dusty. My filters are filthy. I have enrolled in the PH research programme on air pollution and sending sample of my used filters in at every change (usually about 6 weeks) I am not in a city I am on top of an exposed ridge with fields all around.  I think the windy exposed location blows a huge amount of dust about when the weather is dry. I open my sliders a lot because of the dog, no doubt if doors were hardly ever open there would be less dust.

Probably the dog. Try a fly swat and see if a cloud of dust comes off :-).

We used to have a rabbit-coloured cat that never washed itself. You always felt that she like Linus, but wearing the blanket.

Edited by Ferdinand

16 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Dogs and cats definitely add to the dust in a house. Dogs especially. 

On the old principle of wetting dust to keep it down, get a couple of Labs or Golden Retrievers and the dust will all be drawn to the pool of dribble that will instantly materialise on the floor of all your rooms.

I am convinced that all Labs have some slug in their DNA somewhere.. hence the slime trails. 

Went to visit 4 Golden Retrievers this morning and it took 20 minutes to get the damned trouser leg dry afterwards.

But the no longer Type II Diabetes diagnosed lady owner has successfully kept 3 stone off for a couple of years now, which is great. She said she took the doggies for a 2 hour walk this week and because they are getting older that is them done until next week. So it does work sometimes.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

@Bitpipe today we went to our local timber yard (actually we went looking at internal doors, but ended up on a right mission at umpteen places looking at doors, kitchens, bathrooms, skirting and a whole range of other stuff and have enough brochures to wallpaper the house now)!

We ended up with about 10 different samples. We really like the profile you posted and seems to be the best budget option needing as least maintenance. It only came in 7ft lengths at our local timber yard but I'm sure it would come in longer lengths elsewhere.

@Ferdinand @Barney12 @lizzie our little three foster kittens have gone now so I can't blame the dust on them anymore although the ecologist found signs of mice so perhaps it's them ? 

I think the fact we have our windows and doors open a lot (to air the house) and there is always agriculture activity in the fields nearby (maize, combine harvesters, hay etc) that this contributes as well.

On 16/08/2019 at 10:27, SteamyTea said:

Shadow gaps.

Could fit some fancy lights in them. But that is just silly.

Not a single photo of shadow gap skirtings, maybe no one has them?

Fancy lights in then, no never! What’s wrong with a 99p plastic pendant and a lamp shade?

32 minutes ago, Triassic said:

a 99p plastic pendant and a lamp shade

I paid 2 quid for my lampshades at Ikea, about 17 years ago.

The pattern masks the cobwebs nicely, not that I remember them being patterned when I got got them.  So that is a bonus.

13 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

@Bitpipe today we went to our local timber yard (actually we went looking at internal doors, but ended up on a right mission at umpteen places looking at doors, kitchens, bathrooms, skirting and a whole range of other stuff and have enough brochures to wallpaper the house now)!

We ended up with about 10 different samples. We really like the profile you posted and seems to be the best budget option needing as least maintenance. It only came in 7ft lengths at our local timber yard but I'm sure it would come in longer lengths elsewhere.

@Ferdinand @Barney12 @lizzie our little three foster kittens have gone now so I can't blame the dust on them anymore although the ecologist found signs of mice so perhaps it's them ? 

I think the fact we have our windows and doors open a lot (to air the house) and there is always agriculture activity in the fields nearby (maize, combine harvesters, hay etc) that this contributes as well.

The online shops will send you samples of profiles - we got a matching architrave and it works quite well.

Got a few duds which were swiftly replaced - I suggest you over order slightly on the skirting as it can be ripped down for architrave if required.

Also, this thread reminded me to replace the MVHR filters - they were quite grim! I try to remember to vacuum them every month and replace once a quarter. Our external vents are 1m above ground level as the unit is in the basement plant room. We often have doors & windows open in summer so the exhaust filter gets grubby too.

4 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

The online shops will send you samples of profiles - we got a matching architrave and it works quite well.

Got a few duds which were swiftly replaced - I suggest you over order slightly on the skirting as it can be ripped down for architrave if required.

Also, this thread reminded me to replace the MVHR filters - they were quite grim! I try to remember to vacuum them every month and replace once a quarter. Our external vents are 1m above ground level as the unit is in the basement plant room. We often have doors & windows open in summer so the exhaust filter gets grubby too.

Skirting you need to have your list of lengths and match them to your known dimensions, including dealing with the left over bits.

Ferdinand

• 5 months later...
On 16/08/2019 at 13:20, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

I wanted shadow gaps until I find out the cost. Also decided against for practical reasons.

I have chosen Moduleo LVT. They do a small up stand as a skirting, so totally maintenance free, no problem when the floor is mopped.

It looks great. Really happy with it.

Struggling with OH over shadow gaps, she is set on them and I see many downsides, not least allowances for expansion per JH and the extra cost. I can't find the Moduleo LVT you refer to - the Moduleo website has no search facility. What is LVT  - can you post a specific link? Looking for any alternatives to the dreaded shadow gap. 

35 minutes ago, Oldsteel said:

Struggling with OH over shadow gaps, she is set on them and I see many downsides, not least allowances for expansion per JH and the extra cost. I can't find the Moduleo LVT you refer to - the Moduleo website has no search facility. What is LVT  - can you post a specific link? Looking for any alternatives to the dreaded shadow gap. 

LVT is vinyl tiles like Kardean, Amtico, Berryalloc, Moduleo and many others and some do matching skirting. https://www.moduleo.co.uk/products/accessories/standard-skirting/standard-skirting

https://www.berryalloc.com/global/en/accessories/vinyl-planks/click-vinyl-planks

So if you are having moduelo or any other brand of LVT flooring like those I mentioned you can have skirting to match the floor. Great if you're having wood effect LVT but as we are not this doesn't work for us so although I hate skirting we have resounded ourselves just finding one we don't hate as much!

• 1 month later...

I love Skirting boards!

In fact I've found replacing those, Architrave and electric sockets for more new or modern replacements really pays of in look and value of a property, add in some coving in the right type of property and you are quids in.

I'm about to replace this 4in naff "council" style skirting here with 8in Torus. I've decided because the walls run off all sorts of angles I'm not even going to join them together. I'm simply going to cut them square to length and end them all with a square section of timer.