Downpipes into surface water drainpipe - how?

Weebles

Just getting round to looking at guttering and downpipes.  What is the consensus for how to connect the downpipes to the surface water drainage?

For a single system (ie no foul water), draining to a soakaway.  Connect via a spout over a gully / hopper (with or without rodding access) OR a direct connection into the surface water drain (a 90 degree bend at the base of the downpipe connecting straight in?).  The latter seems neater - any issues to be aware of?  

I personally don’t like direct connections but do concede they look tidier. The reason being that any crud (in particular leaves) is going to head straight into your drain and into your soakaway. At least with a grate/hopper it provides a basic filter and makes general cleaning/rodding simpler.

Perhaps not a point to worry about in some locations but I’m surrounded by trees, bushes and moorland. So crud a plenty! 

Edited by Barney12
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Weebles said:

Just getting round to looking at guttering and downpipes.  What is the consensus for how to connect the downpipes to the surface water drainage?

For a single system (ie no foul water), draining to a soakaway.  Connect via a spout over a gully / hopper (with or without rodding access) OR a direct connection into the surface water drain (a 90 degree bend at the base of the downpipe connecting straight in?).  The latter seems neater - any issues to be aware of?  

I'm planning a shoe over the gully.  

3 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

I personally don’t like direct connections but do concede they look tidier. The reason being that any crud (in particular leaves) is going to head straight into your drain and into your soakaway. At least with a grate/hopper it provides a basic filter and makes general cleaning/rodding simpler.

Perhaps not a point to worrying about in some locations but I’m surrounded by trees, bushes and moorland. So crud a plenty! 

Same here. I noticed that one of my temporary downpipes which is sitting on the grate quite tight as it's not fixed to the wall, was not draining so wiggled a brick tie underneath and the water came out with a lot of pressure. Was just full of crud, having a shoe and gully will allow me to keep the water flowing. 

6 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

So crud a plenty! 

We are surrounded by trees too so crud is a definite (got plenty already, dripping of the edges of the roof, as no gutters yet!).  So a shoe over a gully?  Like this?

image.png.a68e3a6f9598a279f7fd669784e8058d.png

Over this sort of thing?

image.png.a0a92645ce93cc33e484f8a73dbe70f8.png

with a silt bucket thing in which presumably needs emptying regularly.

Or this (below)?  A simpler (cheaper) gully.  Both options (if I use a spout) seem to require the grid on the top to catch the crud and with pine needles and small debris being most of my crud I am not sure whether this is sufficient?

Do I then need to open up the gully top regularly to clean it out?  Was trying to be low maintenance but accept that direct access may result in increased crud (even with a hedgehog in the gutter).  Will either of these options filter out sufficient crud?

image.png.5881c0859469ba211867d308c254fa0b.png

18 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Perhaps not a point to worry about in some locations but I’m surrounded by trees, bushes and moorland. So crud a plenty! 

Use  a hopper with integral leaf filter 

2A6C0DA2-EC29-4F5F-93D1-70076B778559.jpeg.b180944255596192f25a718b156516ec.jpeg

https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-d94-debris-gully/

• Like 1

At our previous house we we’re directly into the drain

neater Quieter Worked a treat 

Did the same at the new house 

Neat quiet  Didn’t work a treat 

We are surrounded by trees that shed little brown leaf things that blocked the drains solid 

We now have a 90 degree bend 

Not as tidy Really noisy when it rains 

But does the job 

6 minutes ago, nod said:

We now have a 90 degree bend

Sounds like we will have the same problem with the trees.

What does this look like underground?  90 degree bend going into what?  A gully before it?  Like this (courtesy of pavingexpert.com)

image.png.a7974b784bbf001807d0958765199ed1.png

7 hours ago, Weebles said:

Sounds like we will have the same problem with the trees.

What does this look like underground?  90 degree bend going into what?  A gully before it?  Like this (courtesy of pavingexpert.com)

image.png.a7974b784bbf001807d0958765199ed1.png

C40FB33C-7382-495D-B64D-9B53758FBC9C.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

Out of interest, why not one of these, and then straight in? (I will have the same problem with trees.)

image.png.dba5f4e990f362c26670d9a6d0c1f9ad.png

https://guttercentre.co.uk/Lindab-Self-Cleaning-Leaf-Trap-For-Downpipes-SLS 

I’ve used these on a commercial build and they are good but in heavy rain they will splash a lot and can throw water and leaves quite a distance. 

They also only fit 110mm downpipes

Our down pipes are 80mm dia metal and connect into 110mm vertical plastic pipe at ground/patio level using rubber adaptors that fit over the 110mm pipe. Seems to work very well. If you ever need to rod them you can remove the rubber adaptor and or lower section of down pipe. We have lots of trees nearby but they have never been a problem. Although on my shed I did use one of those leaf traps.

Just now, Temp said:

Our down pipes are 80mm dia metal and connect into 110mm vertical plastic pipe at ground/patio level using rubber adaptors that fit over the 110mm pipe. Seems to work very well. If you ever need to rod them you can remove the rubber adaptor and or lower section of down pipe. We have lots of trees nearby but they have never been a problem. Although on my shed I did use one of those leaf traps.

We have the same, but with 68mm PVC downpipes fitting into the rubber collars.  I buried the rubber collars under a couple of inches of coarse decorative gravel that runs around the house, so it looks like the downpipes just go into the ground, but it's easy enough to get access to the collars if needed.

16 hours ago, Weebles said:

I prefer a direct coupling because exposed gullys always seem to end up blocked. You could have a rodding eye very close by, or see if you can source a sealed gully type thing. 

I do personally like a direct pipe through hard landscaping etc.

To be honest, if you go into a 4" then blockages chances are low assuming you do not have tree's directly above your roof. 

These are the two with which I have to deal.

The easy one which was wedged on the grill. Now propped up a couple of inches. May just need a pipe trim or one of those chute things.

432C3AB2-00E8-4F41-9BA0-B21FD36E2C1B.thumb.jpeg.6bcd5e5ac4cb6791c63bd413d6d7069f.jpeg

Difficult one. pipe runs down the wall, and along under the gravel, round the corner and on to the drains 6m away. That wall also has to have my split aircon going through it.

166B5A70-A9E2-4CCD-96C6-94B3B6D6AE91.thumb.jpeg.fce7614007a59db0699e51bb4a7821cb.jpeg

5F6EF6A5-3C34-4CD8-9E9C-A71F9557536E.thumb.jpeg.4d13a9890f38ce115c25b41e75e93724.jpeg

FACF16C3-7BCA-47FA-9DCE-592C99FFC19E.thumb.jpeg.01dfbf6fc1e7caa140adf7d072628aeb.jpeg

F

3 hours ago, JSHarris said:

We have the same, but with 68mm PVC downpipes fitting into the rubber collars.  I buried the rubber collars under a couple of inches of coarse decorative gravel that runs around the house, so it looks like the downpipes just go into the ground, but it's easy enough to get access to the collars if needed.

The ones we used were square one side and round on other. bit of sealant around where the collar went into the 100mm pipe and all good. Some of ours were paved over and some are in gravel.

7 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

To be honest, if you go into a 4" then blockages chances are low assuming you do not have tree's directly above your roof. 

We have trees almost overhanging our flat roof. A lot of leaves shed in autumn.  Blockage risk seems pretty high so the bottle gully with a grid and a spouted downpipe seems like the way to go. Maybe not as neat but infinitely less risky with the leaves and will all be at the rarely visited rear of the house.

will post photos when we get to ordering and laying.  Thanks for all input and advice.  Very helpful ?

Edited by Weebles
Added thanks

11 minutes ago, Weebles said:

We have trees almost overhanging our flat roof. A lot of leaves shed in autumn.  Blockage risk seems pretty high so the bottle gully with a grid and a spouted downpipe seems like the way to go. Maybe not as neat but infinitely less risky with the leaves and will all be at the rarely visited rear of the house.

will post photos when we get to ordering and laying.  Thanks for all input and advice.  Very helpful ?

Put hedgehogs in the gutters and the caps over the entrance to the down pipe in the gutters - this will minimise most of the leaf litter getting into the rainwater system.

5 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Put hedgehogs in the gutters and the caps over the entrance to the down pipe in the gutters - this will minimise most of the leaf litter getting into the rainwater system.

I have hedgehogs everywhere, from perhaps 2-3 years ago, and huge overhanging trees - though now fewer.

Hedgehogs are great in maintaining a flow even under a pile of leaves, but some leaf matter will still get through. This year is the first time I have blockages inside drainpipes, which is why I am trying to fix it permanently.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand