Non Material Ammndnt Q.

zoothorn

Hi chaps- I'm at my final stage of prep for my extention. I need to do one thing more: a "Non- Material-Ammendment" to send to planning, but I don't know how.

I have been given the pdf basic plans of my build. All I need do in theory, I think, is shift one line & add a simple balcony > send off. But in practise- how is the Q. Am I able to access the pdf information somehow, to be able to make these changes?

Thanks zoot.

From Trafford council web site..

• Applications for “non-material amendments” must be made on the standard application form. Visit the planning portal website to apply online or download our application form and guidance notes.
  • Two copies of the relevant plans, clearly showing the proposed amendment(s) must be submitted.
  • The fees for NMA applications are: Householder applications - £34, In any other case - £234
  • A Design and Access Statement is not required.
  • Only planning permissions can be the subject of non-material amendments (not Listed Building Consents or Conservation Area Consents).
  • The Local Planning Authority has 28 days to determine the application.
  • Only a person with a legal interest in the land can make an application. Notice must be served on any owner(s) of the land.
  • More than one “non-material amendment” can be applied for on one application form.
  • Under the non material amendment provision, there are no requirements for the Local Planning Authority to carry out publicity as part of the amendment, or for consultation or for the identification of unknown other site owners.

As for editing pdf files...

The simplest way might be just to print them, apply tipex or paper labels, photocopy, mark up and photocopy again. In the past I've used an office supplies company to do this on large sheets.

If you want to edit the pdf itself it will depend how the image in the pdf file was generated. Free editors may allow you to extract the image to an image editing program.

Edited by Temp

1 hour ago, Temp said:

As for editing pdf files...

The simplest way might be just to print them, apply tipex or paper labels, photocopy, mark up and photocopy again. In the past I've used an office supplies company to do this on large sheets.

If you want to edit the pdf itself it will depend how the image in the pdf file was generated. Free editors may allow you to extract the image to an image editing program.

Hi Temp- cheers for the ideas & info above (anything to avoid dipping into that dreaded 'portal' page I can decipher barely a word of).

I'm much more on the analog front: free editors downloads & I'm up a gumtree already- I can't cope with understanding how to use. I was hoping I might be able to shift a line on the pdf, once Id opened it up.

Is the idea of tracing existing pdf by hand onto an A3 page, adding my balcony & shift my line by hand.. then photocopying it to make it look less 'amateur/ hand-done' feasable?

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

You could do the edit in graphics package like GIMP  which I believe is opensource so free. I think it has an import from pdf function. You may need to convert to a jpg, edit then save as a pdf. 

Hi Ralph- gimp packages, opensource or imports or converting to jpeg.. unfortunately I have no idea what these words mean (well, gimp I do).

Is there no way once I have the pdf that I can access it, then tinker with it?

thanks, zoot.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Is there no way once I have the pdf that I can access it, then tinker with it?

It depends on how it's been saved and what software you're using. Your architects will have created the drawing in some fancy CAD systems then saved it as a PDF which is a graphics format. Other systems like GIMP and Photoshop can open and edit the PDF file but not in the same way as the CAD system.

You may actually be able to open the PDF in word and draw on it there then save it.

If you're stuck print it out on paper, draw on it with a pen, snap a photo on your phone and send me the PDF and the photo and I'll do it for you. I can't guarantee it will be perfect but I'm happy to have a go.

I wouldn't recommend GIMP or Photoshop - these are essentially both "paint" programs for editing raster files.

A raster file (e.g. a JPG) is basically a list of every dot and what colour it should be. The combinations of coloured dots might look to a human eye like a house, but as far as the computer is concerned there's just a grid of blobs of "paint". If two lines pass through the same dot then only the colour of the front/top one will be saved. Editing in GIMP / Photoshop is essentially just a digital "tippex bits out and draw over it with a pen". It will probably be tricky and time consuming to do that neatly. Additionally, converting to and from JPG is likely to cause issues with image quality / scale / etc.

A PDF of a CAD drawing is a vector file. A vector file is a list of shapes together with the co-ordinates where each one starts and finishes. The file format basically started out life as the instructions for an old-fashioned pen plotter (move the black pen to the bottom left, put it on the paper, move it vertically upwards for 5 centimetres, lift it off the paper). It's only ever converted to dots (pixels on a monitor, blobs of ink on a printer) when necessary - so you can zoom / scale / print it happily with no loss of quality. And for example if 2 lines overlap both of them still exist in the file - so you can easily delete one or move it about a bit.

Most PDFs can be relatively easily edited in Inkscape (also free) - it can open and save PDF files directly, no need to convert. You can delete old lines, draw new ones, drag and drop things around till you're happy with where they are, etc. You can also change colours (e.g. if you need to mark things that are different to the original drawings) and put in explicit co-ordinates and dimensions e.g. in centimetres to ensure things come out at the right size/scale.

4 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Hi chaps- I'm at my final stage of prep for my extention. I need to do one thing more: a "Non- Material-Ammendment" to send to planning, but I don't know how.

I have been given the pdf basic plans of my build. All I need do in theory, I think, is shift one line & add a simple balcony > send off. But in practise- how is the Q. Am I able to access the pdf information somehow, to be able to make these changes?

Thanks zoot.

Send me the PDF and I will see if I can convert it to CAD - works 99% percent of the time, I do it almost daily. 

Once in CAD then changes can be made easily. 

54 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Send me the PDF and I will see if I can convert it to CAD - works 99% percent of the time, I do it almost daily. 

Many thanks chaps for the info @andyscotland, & offers too.. maybe I can try sending the pdf to Carrerahill as 1st port of call & go from there. An email just rcvd from my archtct chap mentions..

" I have not locked the pdf's against editing so I am assuming that you can draw lines on them using the edit function of the free pdf reader from Adobe. You will not be able to erase or move the existing lines as these are formed in autocad and saved as a block in the pdf.."

I can just about cope with this info, whether or not I can actually 'draw a line' is another matter: I did try for an hour literally until my head hurt, & just got too stressed/ I just couldn't find a way.

1 hour ago, Carrerahill said:

Ok Carrerahill.. how do I send you the two pdf's? I know how to fwd the email with the attatched pdf's.. but I can't do this to your inbox for eg, can I?

I don't know how to separate the 2x attatched pdf's from the email they were sent in, & add them in a reply here, or to a new email, or to a PM.

On 14/08/2019 at 17:38, zoothorn said:

Ok Carrerahill.. how do I send you the two pdf's? I know how to fwd the email with the attatched pdf's.. but I can't do this to your inbox for eg, can I?

I don't know how to separate the 2x attatched pdf's from the email they were sent in, & add them in a reply here, or to a new email, or to a PM.

I have Nitro Pro PDF on this machine, which can edit pretty much any .pdf file (often including protected files) and save them back as .pdf files, that have no sign of being edited.  Happy to edit your .pdf if you wish.  Just attach it to a PM, saying what changes you'd like, and I can have a go.

As an example of what Nitro Pro can do, here's a .pdf that had a watermark on it that prevented me from using it for my design SAP submission:

Self-Build, Fovant-Self-Build-Predicted_EPC.pdf

And this is the same file after I'd edited it in Nitro Pro to remove the watermark (took maybe 30s to do):

House at Mill Orchard-The House At Mill Orchard-Predicted_EPC.pdf

21 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Um... I am not sure.

I will PM you an email address.

17 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

OK sounds like it is on the way then - either of you, let me know if you need any help. 

Carrerahill- thank you that's much appreciated. At the moment JSHarris has kindly done me a fantastic edit, even adding my steps! & just as I'd imagined too: amazing this CAD & tweaking software.

And @Temp I can get the docs needed without wading thru the awful portal reams of info thx to your reply too.

Really big thanks chaps- zoot

On 15/08/2019 at 15:02, Carrerahill said:

OK sounds like it is on the way then - either of you, let me know if you need any help. 

Without wanting to ask any more of Jeremy (done a steps edit version too.. looks great now & all ready to send on monday to PP dept/ fab), he's sent me two versions of the A3 sized pdf docs. One as .pdf, the other as .DXF : in this DXF version can I conceivably tweak a line on the doc? its just a piddly thing really.

17 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Without wanting to ask any more of Jeremy (done a steps edit version too.. looks great now & all ready to send on monday to PP dept/ fab), he's sent me two versions of the A3 sized pdf docs. One as .pdf, the other as .DXF : in this DXF version can I conceivably tweak a line on the doc? its just a piddly thing really.

Happy to do any tweaks needed. probably only a few minutes at most to sort.

4 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Happy to do any tweaks needed. probably only a few minutes at most to sort.

Hi JSH, well its only a tiny thing -maybe would be glossed over by PP dept.

On (1086-11b) the upper story fine, just the lower story: balc still at the full width of extention frontage/ not been tweaked back ~1m.

See what you think- I'm happy to send as is, but the tiny chance they could see my balc full width & think too BIG & LoooooG.

Thanks so much- zoot

On 14/08/2019 at 18:26, JSHarris said:

I have Nitro Pro PDF

OT but do you ever use Sharepoint with Nitro Pro installed? I have Nitro Pro installed on my work laptop and every time I try to open a PDF file from Sharepoint it defaults to Nitro Pro and fails to open. I haven't been able to find a way of getting it to use Adobe instead and nor have the IT Help Desk. Their helpful advice was to remove Nitro Pro! 

37 minutes ago, newhome said:

OT but do you ever use Sharepoint with Nitro Pro installed? I have Nitro Pro installed on my work laptop and every time I try to open a PDF file from Sharepoint it defaults to Nitro Pro and fails to open. I haven't been able to find a way of getting it to use Adobe instead and nor have the IT Help Desk. Their helpful advice was to remove Nitro Pro! 

What operating system / browser do you use? Does it only happen when you open from SharePoint? Should be fairly straightforward to find and fix the file-type association but the precise steps vary by platform.

10 hours ago, newhome said:

Nitro Pro doesn't behave well with office applications, IMHO.  There's an installation option to not install the optional embedded toolbar features though.  I also make sure that I don't set it as my default .pdf viewer, as I prefer that to be Foxit.