Non Material Ammndnt Q.

zoothorn

13 hours ago, andyscotland said:

What operating system / browser do you use? Does it only happen when you open from SharePoint? Should be fairly straightforward to find and fix the file-type association but the precise steps vary by platform.

3 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Nitro Pro doesn't behave well with office applications, IMHO.  There's an installation option to not install the optional embedded toolbar features though.  I also make sure that I don't set it as my default .pdf viewer, as I prefer that to be Foxit.

Windows 10 and use Internet Explorer (company policy unless there is a specific need to use something else). They've tried fixing the file type association but nothing apparently works. If I save the PDF file from SP and open it from my C drive it opens with Adobe with no issues. There is only an issue when I want to open from SharePoint and I really don't want to save every file that I want to open before opening it. I only need Nitro Pro occasionally so that I can redact documents. Everything is tied down to within an inch of its life so I can't fiddle around with any settings myself but the help desk and second line support (contracted out) are unable to address the issue. 

1 hour ago, newhome said:

Windows 10 and use Internet Explorer (company policy unless there is a specific need to use something else). They've tried fixing the file type association but nothing apparently works. If I save the PDF file from SP and open it from my C drive it opens with Adobe with no issues. There is only an issue when I want to open from SharePoint and I really don't want to save every file that I want to open before opening it. I only need Nitro Pro occasionally so that I can redact documents. Everything is tied down to within an inch of its life so I can't fiddle around with any settings myself but the help desk and second line support (contracted out) are unable to address the issue. 

Have they tried changing the file type association in Internet Explorer itself, as well as the system-level default? As I recall, IE (like chrome) can be separately configured to open files in a different app to the one the system uses when opening a local file. 

1 hour ago, andyscotland said:

Have they tried changing the file type association in Internet Explorer itself, as well as the system-level default? As I recall, IE (like chrome) can be separately configured to open files in a different app to the one the system uses when opening a local file. 

Not sure - you make an assumption that they communicate ;) but I will find out and see if that makes any difference, thanks. 

• Like 1

On 14/08/2019 at 11:58, zoothorn said:

I need to do one thing more: a "Non- Material-Ammendment" to send to planning, but I don't know how. ... All I need do in theory, I think, is shift one line & add a simple balcony > send off.

The potential issue that you need to be aware of is that the LA planning office have the delegated discretion to determine whether the amendment is material or not.  You have no right of appeal in this.  In simple small amendments to the rear of the property will be regarded as non material if they don't extend the line of the property or materially change the overlooking on neighbours etc.  You can't just assume that the LPA will accept that the addition of a balcony will be classified as a non-material change.  A change to the appearance to a balcony, probably yes.  If your property or adjacent neighbours already have balconies and so this is a case of just one more, then probably yes.  If you aren't overlooking neighbours, then yes (so long as you explain this in the change). 

You just need to be a little careful, because if the LPA thinks that the neighbours to the rear might object, then they could just turn this down and tell you to submit a minor material amendment.  If some neighbours get on your case, then you might lose the MMA as well and be forced to remove the balcony.

I say this because I've been there.  Planning enforcement noticed that the style of our front door had changed.  I explained why we had to do this and the enforcement officer said "don't worry, you just need to submit an NMA to regularise the change". We did as requested explaining why and that the door isn't visible from the road and only partially from an upstairs bedroom window of a neighbour opposite who didn't have any issue with the change.  The first response we got back from the LPA was the refusal.  "It doesn't matter that it can't be seen from the road; it's the principle elevation and callers to the house will see that the door is different." 

@JSHarris actually I'm not sure the DXF docs can be accessed by me: the two docs kindly sent via email JSH seem to be in code/ text form (a series of commands on the LHS of page only running for a loooong page (up/ down that is).

Is this something to do with my lowly windows 7 system not coping receiving them as it were? or do I need to convert maybe?

13 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

@JSHarris actually I'm not sure the DXF docs can be accessed by me: the two docs kindly sent via email JSH seem to be in code/ text form (a series of commands on the LHS of page only running for a loooong page (up/ down that is).

Is this something to do with my lowly windows 7 system not coping receiving them as it were? or do I need to convert maybe?

The .dxf files are in drawing interchange format, that can be imported into pretty much any CAD software application, so you would need to have such an application installed to be able to work on them.  The ,pdf copies I sent can be opened by any .pdf reader application, including that which may be built in to some web browsers (I know Firefox can open .pdf's, not sure about other browsers).

Whilst the .pdf files are great for sharing documents and drawings that are only ever going to be read, .dxf is a format that allows someone (who has access to CAD software) to be able to very easily edit a drawing if required in future.  Editing drawings in .pdf format is more difficult, as they have to first be converted to a common CAD file format, then tidied up (as the .pdf file format doesn't have all the required data in it), before they can be worked on, then converted back to .pdf to be read by anyone. 

@JSHarris ok thanks for that. I think maybe me editing these then, is too far for me to consider.

Ok, at the moment I have these pdf's ready to send via email. Speaking to head honcho, who granted my PP (most likely who'll make decision on this NMA) he'd/ they'd prefer the whole NMA via email. This includes emailing the application form..

.. so a new can of worms. I spoke to reception whose got me to the application form, in pdf. Then Ive saved it > opened it (in order to get the cursor flashing on the info boxes I need to fill out). But having got this far -me just starting to go into stress mode- I cannot proceed: because I just get a 'boing/ NO!' sound when I try to type anything.

Yes I could drive back to town > print > send lot off, or drive to PP town itself & deliver.. but if they prefer via email, & if this helps both speed time to get there (& possibly adds to my NMA chances/ saves hours of time/ & fuel too) then I need to do it via email.

Can anyone help?

2 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

@JSHarris ok thanks for that. I think maybe me editing these then, is too far for me to consider.

Ok, at the moment I have these pdf's ready to send via email. Speaking to head honcho, who granted my PP (most likely who'll make decision on this NMA) he'd/ they'd prefer the whole NMA via email. This includes emailing the application form..

.. so a new can of worms. I spoke to reception whose got me to the application form, in pdf. Then Ive saved it > opened it (in order to get the cursor flashing on the info boxes I need to fill out). But having got this far -me just starting to go into stress mode- I cannot proceed: because I just get a 'boing/ NO!' sound when I try to type anything.

Yes I could drive back to town > print > send lot off, or drive to PP town itself & deliver.. but if they prefer via email, & if this helps both speed time to get there (& possibly adds to my NMA chances/ saves hours of time/ & fuel too) then I need to do it via email.

Can anyone help?

In slow time, you could have a look at getting to grips with a CAD application, if you wanted to be able to edit the drawings.  There are some free ones around that should open and save .dxf files, I think.

Your problem with the .pdf files form is probably because it's somehow been locked so that the "form" function doesn't work.  I've received .pdf files like this before, and they are a bit of a pain unless you can get in to them to edit them.  If you attach the blank form as an attachment here I'm sure that I, or someone else, could have a look and see if it's been protected or locked somehow.

@JSHarris I can sort of grasp the idea behind 1st paragraph. If my head isn't fried by end of the day I might try dipping in & seeing if I can get anywhere on this avenue.

As to actually being able to fill the damn form in. I'm at a loss. I mean surely it can't be "locked" for customers not to be able to fill it in-? this just doesn't make sense, & therefore zoot-logic is one of..

A) my 'puter adobe thing isn't set up to be able to edit, or

B) that I need an entirely different adobe thing to put on my 'puter, or

C) I -do- have the basic capability to do * to get into the document.. but I don't know how/ where to look.

I'll have to call the poor receptionist up again- her poor ears.. we both needed a snooze after ages to get the cursor flashing on the box to fill in.. which we assumed meant I was finally there. Not then.

16 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

@JSHarris I can sort of grasp the idea behind 1st paragraph. If my head isn't fried by end of the day I might try dipping in & seeing if I can get anywhere on this avenue.

As to actually being able to fill the damn form in. I'm at a loss. I mean surely it can't be "locked" for customers not to be able to fill it in-? this just doesn't make sense, & therefore zoot-logic is one of..

A) my 'puter adobe thing isn't set up to be able to edit, or

B) that I need an entirely different adobe thing to put on my 'puter, or

C) I -do- have the basic capability to do * to get into the document.. but I don't know how/ where to look.

I'll have to call the poor receptionist up again- her poor ears.. we both needed a snooze after ages to get the cursor flashing on the box to fill in.. which we assumed meant I was finally there. Not then.

There does seem to be a bit of a problem with .pdf forms, where sometimes they do appear to be locked and cannot be filled in.  Once or twice I've had this problem, and have just unlocked the .pdf so that I could fill in the form OK.  Not sure what causes it, but I suspect it may be that some of these forms are created by people who then don't test that they work OK for other users.

I doubt it's anything to do with your machine's set up, the chances are that someone has just left one of the security attributes set on the form (there's a list of things you can lock down when creating a .pdf file).  Easy enough to unlock, usually, as .pdf security isn't super hard to get around most of the time.

Back to the .dxf files and CAD.  Best bet might be to see if anyone can recommend a simple free CAD application that will import and save in .dxf.  I use an old version of AutoCad, but only as I have a copy that was provided by my former employer (AutoCad costs a lot of money).  I'm pretty sure there maybe an older thread here discussing free CAD applications, but can't seem to find it quickly.  Might be worth a look.

Hi JSH- actually the PP dept team sent me on a 2hr red-herring with the pdf. Called national 'Portal' number (no idea national) & someone got me to the right online area to do the NMA "simple wasn't it" he said. jesusH gimme strength I almost popped.

I think I'll be rip before I get the 1st spade in at this rate. Ive got 2 whole new arenas of misery to do yet: the building plan (thankfully he only needs the basics on, but even so..) and then lastly [unless I'm mistaken/ I cannot understand the protocol with this section/ whether I have to do this or not or what it involves/ or the implications from my design, re. any part of it] another application for "Building Regs".

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

There does seem to be a bit of a problem with .pdf forms..

Indeed so JSH it seemed.

Done the NMA > & sent off! with two A3 docs, & zoomed-out 'overview' doc 1086-13 (which I hope to goodess is the 'location plan' asked for as mandatory). A very protracted online process- I wasn't expecting that. 10 days apparantly to get decision. Another hurdle overcome!!

So next step (only 2 to go!) is the "Building Regulations" thing.. & I find the most complicated. So I need to do a new thread to clear my head.

Many thanks for the help folks.