CC45

Engineering bricks & linseed oil

a while ago I remember @Onoff discussing linseed oil being applied to engineering bricks - in order to reduce staining I think.  I'd not heard of that before and little did I think I would now be laying blue engineering bricks (constructing a garden wall).  I was going to apply brick acid to clean them up after completing the wall but am now wondering about linseed oil - anyone care to shed some light on this mystery?

Thanks

22 minutes ago, CC45 said:

a while ago I remember @Onoff discussing linseed oil being applied to engineering bricks - in order to reduce staining I think.  I'd not heard of that before and little did I think I would now be laying blue engineering bricks (constructing a garden wall).  I was going to apply brick acid to clean them up after completing the wall but am now wondering about linseed oil - anyone care to shed some light on this mystery?

Thanks

You apply linseed oil to the face before laying as far as I'm aware. It was @Brickie who said it "saves all the aftercare". Tbh I forgot and laid my pillar bricks unoiled. 

@Onoff and then cleaned them off using brick acid?  or did you lay them so cleanly that there wasn't a mark on the bricks??

Is the linseed applied neat? using a rag I assume?

14 minutes ago, CC45 said:

@Onoff and then cleaned them off using brick acid?  or did you lay them so cleanly that there wasn't a mark on the bricks??

Is the linseed applied neat? using a rag I assume?

Sorry, not tried oil yet on any bricks. It was only this thread now made me remember. @Brickie's your man.

I stack the bricks on edge so the face side is facing skywards,then apply using a roller from a paint tray to each layer of the brick stack as they’re used. 

One thing to look out for is when to brush off-I’ve found that to brush it slightly earlier than you would normally helps,though not so early as to drag the joints. 

It makes a mess of your brushing off brush though,might pay to have a spare. 

I’m still finding my way with this method tbh-just did a pointing job on brick slips which were as hard as engineerings so used the oil & the results were mainly very good. I found that oiling immediately prior to application was key. 

• Like 1