"Turnkey" timber frame house

has anyone else gone down this route and how did you get on? ive a quote from a timber frame company to do everything from planning to groundwork to build and internal skirtings/doors/bathrooms, kitchen units and cooker for £1375/m2 for a 160m2 house, im reckoning £1500 by the time i include service connections and a few other bit, does this sound reasonable?

57 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Check inclusions and exclusions, I bet that figure does not include ground works and foundations.

Good point Groundworks are a leap of faith and very difficult to predict  

1 hour ago, Amateur bob said:

has anyone else gone down this route and how did you get on? ive a quote from a timber frame company to do everything from planning to groundwork to build and internal skirtings/doors/bathrooms, kitchen units and cooker for £1375/m2 for a 160m2 house, im reckoning £1500 by the time i include service connections and a few other bit, does this sound reasonable?

Ask for a breakdown If you can sit back and let someone else take the stress I would take it at those prices 

1 hour ago, the_r_sole said:

Worryingly cheap for a turnkey service

Interesting how perspectives vary.

If I had paid that much per square metre, plus plot price, plus services, plus planning etc, I would have paid at least 10% more than the market value of the house.

I’m in the North west of England 

Building labour has rocketed

My friend has sent me a message tonight

His Daughter lives in the South East 

The best quote she has for tiling five mtrs of splash back Is £450

Labour and adhesive and grout

Massive shortage of skilled labour     

20 hours ago, Moonshine said:

Check inclusions and exclusions, I bet that figure does not include ground works and foundations.

Preparation for construction and compliance with health and safety legislation to include site security, welfare unit, scaffolding, lifting operations, skips, insurance of works Clear house area of vegetable matter to a maximum depth of 450mm and construct plain concrete strip (not exceeding 700mm wide) foundations with under building up to 3 no. Standard block course depth

this is what it says regarding groundworks

1 hour ago, Amateur bob said:

Clear house area of vegetable matter to a maximum depth of 450mm and construct plain concrete strip (not exceeding 700mm wide) foundations with under building up to 3 no. Standard block course depth

My reading of that is that it is no digging of a hole (groundworks) for the foundations to go into.

Also do you know if that specification of foundation is suitable for the site and ground conditions its going on?

2 hours ago, Moonshine said:

My reading of that is that it is no digging of a hole (groundworks) for the foundations to go into.

Also do you know if that specification of foundation is suitable for the site and ground conditions its going on?

you dont think this actually includes digging the hole?

I suspect that some "turnkey" self-build suppliers may well offer an attractive-looking initial offer price, then have a fairly long list of "extras" that push the price up.  When we were researching build options initially we paid our first visit to the Swindon self-build centre (which is probably the best of all the self-build shows we visited - we've been back several times since).  They have a Potton house built in the middle of the centre and whilst walking around that we overheard a couple discussing the prices.  The essence of their conversation was that they had been drawn in by a low initial price, but then discovered that there were a lot of additional costs, not really for "extras", but for things that many might assume would be included in the turnkey price.

I suspect the best turnkey packages may still be from the German or Scandinavian companies.  They aren't cheap, but they do seem to be pretty comprehensive, and the build time tends to be pretty quick.

5 hours ago, Amateur bob said:

construct plain concrete strip (not exceeding 700mm wide) foundations with under building up to 3 no. Standard block course depth

That to me means a standard strip footing at 700mm wide and 650mm to top of block so probably 900mm deep max. 

No mention of ground floor slab though. 

• 10 months later...
On 13/08/2019 at 17:22, Amateur bob said:

That looks a fair price, what's the company name pls if I may ask?