How to send a large file to somebody?

ProDave

I have some files to send to a friend, totalling 260Mb  I have zipped them all into one file, now 173Mb  

I tried to send it by email but my email server refused it seems to have a limit of about 32Mb

How can I transfer this to my friend?

Could I just upload the .ZIP file to my webspace and when he has collected it, delete it again?  Would he be able to download it just with a web browser or would he have to use FTP?  There is no personal data so it would not matter if while it was there somebody else discovered it and downloaded it.

Alternatively what is the easiest "throw away" file hosting service to sign up for just for this?

50 minutes ago, Temp said:

Dropbox might be another possibility.

WeTransfer is just SO easy. 

I most frequently use it to send large 'ish video files taken on site with the phone.

Edited by Onoff

31 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I tried we transfer last night.  After an hour and a half it got to 90% and then my computer hung up.

I will try again today.

Strange...do you have as very slow connection? If so then do zip for a start.

I often use it without issue (or zipping) and my speeds are about 8mbps down and 2mbps up.

You could try Smash but that doesn't have a mobile app (yet):

https://fromsmash.com/

Other than that then Dropbox like others have suggested above. That annoys me though when you keep getting emails that you've reached your capacity / would you like to upgrade. Also I think Dropbox limits you to 2GB storage space. Not an issue as such but vague recollection that if you reach your limit of 2GB then delete 1GB thus freeing up 1GB it won't have it as it works on all the data uploaded ever. Then the upgrade emails start. As I say, could be wrong. 

I use Thunderbird for my email, if I want to send a very large file, it gives me an option to use FileLink.

Never actually bothered with it, but may be work a go.

Create some pop3 email account, set up Thunderbird and see what happens.

Alternaltively, you could use something like TeamViewer, VNC, think you can transfer files on a P2P basis.

11 hours ago, ProDave said:

Could I just upload the .ZIP file to my webspace and when he has collected it, delete it again?  Would he be able to download it just with a web browser or would he have to use FTP? 

Yes, you could just upload it and he could just download with a web browser.

Our broadband is so slow here my son worked out it would be quicker to drive to Brighton and back and use his uni digs mega fast Virgin connection that wait for whatever to download overnight here.

Must check he's cancelled it thinking about the Virgin package. Also need to find new digs as he's not doing a placement year...