Timber Cladding: orientation - does it matter?

ToughButterCup

The schema for our cladding is for mixed vertical and horizontal boards on two faces and vertical only on the other two faces.

What if I'd I wanted to -say - put up some diagonal cladding? Who can make me take it down and put up cladding as per the architect's design?

I know the Planners could Huff and Puff, but what the Hell bro!  Stuff 'em!

I'm sure that would depend on the individual planners, and the people who might wish to draw it to their attention.

I've known people to get away with fairly significant alterations- e.g. a house where the builders omitted the dwarf walls from the founds, which meant that no internal walls could be load bearing, and subsequently the roof structure had to be altered, changing the house from one and a half storey to two storey. This raised the ridge line above what they had permission for, blocking sea views for the houses behind, and annoying the neighbours a fair deal. Not everyone really believed it was a mistake at all. But the house is still standing.

Anyway, do you really want to go down the route of having diagonal cladding?? It's going to be more work and more wastage. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crofter said:

[...]

Anyway, do you really want to go down the route of having diagonal cladding?

Well, diagonal maybe not. 

But I've just discovered this stuff.

Tyvek UV Facade is water resistant, vapour-permeable and windtight, and designed for long-term performance, coming with a 10-year product warranty from DuPont for joint widths of up to 3cm.

https://www.aboutroofing.com/dupont-tyvek-uv-facade-50mtr-x-1-5mtr.html

And that means shadow gaps are possible. Carefully built, they could look brilliant. I've seen a local barn done using it.

Mutts Nuts

Yes, it expensive, but overall, I'll use less wood and that will offset some of the additional cost of the membrane. 

http://www.dupont.co.uk/products-and-services/construction-materials/tyvek-building-envelope/brands/tyvek-breather-membrane/products/tyvek-uv-facade-rainscreen-cladding.html

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Do you need that membrane with your wall build up???  

[...]

There is a design requirement for a membrane (Kloeber Permoforte NG) , so yes. 

Here's the relevant quotation from our BR submission

New walls to timber cladding: [...], coated with Non-com fire retardant. Rainscreen type profile (see Russwood R014) TBC. Fix with stainless steel annular ring shank nails to ex 25x50mm treated SW battens and counter battens ( horizontal batten to have chamfered top edge to shed water) on Klober Permo Forte breathable felt or similar to thin render coat

And here is an early draft  of our cladding plans

1473948226_Screenshot2019-08-13at09_10.59-Edited.png.629734c05c8b870271d27336b77c95e5.png

Later drafts changed the orientation of some of the cladding to horizontal

The darker area of cladding isn't .... (isn't cladding that is) Its a breeze corridor  (sorry about the attack of Kevin - McC terminology) . It surrounds that corner of the house - the Winter garden - and is outside the heated envelope.

I'd like to create a small shadow gap  between the boards - say 10 to 20 mm or perhaps less, and change the orientation of the boarding in the upper half of the house from horizontal to vertical.

I'd like to change the orientation for a small area, like this (beneath the roof and above the lower floor)

464270982_Screenshot2019-08-13at09_26.40-Edited.png.17f5ee5ffff6aca3dc56d0977979d875.png

and having a really discrete shadow gap between the boards would give a quietly sophisticated look .