Regulations surrounding detached garage.

patp

We are starting to dig the footings on our Bungalow soon (eeeek!)

I am sure that I have read that, in order to reclaim the vat on the detached garage it must be built at the same time as the main build. First question - is that correct?

The garage we fancy is a 3 bay timber framed cart lodge type 9m x 6m. Will we need planning permission? Will we need Building Regs?

Would we get away with putting foundations down at the same time as the foundations are going down for the bungalow i.e. with no planning or building regs in place? This would mean that footings could be dug at the same time as the bungalow and the concrete poured at the same time etc.

If we then applied for and got permission to put a timber frame garage on top of that slab would they want us to expose the footings for inspection?

Seems daft not to put both foundations in at the same time if possible. 

I built a detached garage but it was included in the planning application, I built the garage first (under permitted development whilst going to appeal to get planning permission) so I had somewhere for tools and kit on site. Yes it makes sense to pour footings at the same time, can you not amend you’re planning application to include the garage (it will need building regs).

edit to note, if your building inspector is as good as ours was, I am sure he will inspect the footings trench at the same time if you tell him you are going to amend you planning application to include a garage.

Edited by joe90
Add note
  • Like 1

@patp

PP permitted development rules don’t come into play until you’ve finished the main house. Also in order to reclaim the Vat on the garage it would need to be shown on your PP drawings so it would be best to apply for the PP for the garage straight away

• Like 1