Lead water pipe replacement - Scottish Water

Carrerahill

Has anyone had any experience with Scottish Water - or any utility really, on connecting a new water pipe where a lead pipe has been replaced. Does anyone know roughly what this costs? I have been led to believe as it is replacement of a now banned pipe material that they will make the connection FOC.

Thanks

27 minutes ago, Conor said:

In most cases it should be free. Caveat being you first have to replace all of the lead on your side of the stop cock.

This is what I expected too. I am sure I will find out soon!

I am going to have an excavator here in about 4-5 weeks so it makes sense to trench for the new water pipe, I will lay it myself.

I have got a Scottish Water inspector coming round later this week to discuss the route as it will not follow the exiting route due to mature vegetation and hard landscaping I don't want disturbed.

He can advise exactly how he wants it all done - I have been advised that he would also come back to inspect the work, so as long as I follow his guidance to the letter I should be grand. Only down side is apparently it can take 20 days for them to come and make the connection, so I need to work out a way of having the end of the pipe ready to go into the pavement while maintaining the use of the drive. 

Watch this space folks - any anyone who has experience of this please let me know how it all came together etc. 

i had scottish water replace my toby which effectively gave me a new connection, the local boys were really good, i had phoned and asked them to come and locate my toby and turn off the water so i could reroute my pipe into a different part of the house, when they turned up they struggled to locate the toby so had to follow my pipe back from the house eventually finding out that the toby was burried under my neighbours driveway, they connected a new toby to the live pipe xD and left me with a nice trench to the house to route my new pipe in all at no cost to me, i had black plastic not lead

I think you should be fine with getting a new connection especlially with lead, all the better if you can have your pipe to the agreed toby point, the boys will more than likely connect it up for you, i wouldnt think he would care too much about your pipe its more a case of the toby location as the toby is the responsibility of scottish water