Notification of Initiation of Development

soapstar

Hi All,

Planning on starting our build in some shape or form in order to officially 'start' and more importantly to avoid our planning permission to run out (that would be silly!). Has anyone got information on how the process works here in Scotland in regards to notifying building control you are starting your build? 

We plan on making access into our plot where the drive is planned and then make a start to the driveway - hardcore and kerbing - apparently this constitutes a 'start'. I realise there is an official form to submit however how far in advance do we need to submit this? I am aware we have one condition which needs to be dealt with before commencing however this condition has already been taken care of. Do the BC come out to inspect your conditions have been met before given the go ahead to start? Perhaps pictures are enough?!

Thank you for any advice

Edited by soapstar

These are two separate functions. Building control aren't interested in planning conditions.

We are in Scotland as well. I had to separately notify planning and building control that we had started.

In my head I had a 7 day notice of start on site, but I'd need to check the paperwork.

• Like 1

First you must have discharged any pre commencement planning conditions.

In our case our planning as the first condition said we must form the entrance from the road onto the plot before any building work started.  you have to notify planning when  you "start" so I did by telling them we were starting work creating the entrance to the plot.  they replied by email and followed up with a letter confirming that the development had "started"

So that alone would have locked in the planning permission forever.

You can't start work on building, until you have your building warrant in place. That is a separate application.  so what you need to find is something you CAN do that is not building the house, but that the planners will accept as you "starting" the development.  It sounds like the formation of your entrance will qualify for that just like ours did.

I didn't fill in any form, I just phoned the planners and told them I was starting.

• Like 1

Ah great thank you @jamieled and @ProDave

@ProDave this seems quite a similar situation to us. Our one condition is regarding the visibility splays which should be fine. I wasn't aware there was a separate application for the actual building works however we are not planning on doing any building yet, only enough to get 'started'.

I shall contact the council and tell them we are starting to the access/driveway and hopefully this is enough to lock in the planning permission. 

Out of interest did this process take long?

Thanks

No not long at all. I phoned them to say I was starting work on the entrance, I had an email confirming the development had "started" by the end of the day and a letter in the post 2 days later.  This was Highland council, of course other councils may be different.

Yes you must apply for and pay for a building warrant before you start work on the actual building work. No point getting that too early as it has a time limit and you have to pay to extend it if you are getting close to it expiring.

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

No not long at all. I phoned them to say I was starting work on the entrance, I had an email confirming the development had "started" by the end of the day and a letter in the post 2 days later.  This was Highland council, of course other councils may be different.

Yes you must apply for and pay for a building warrant before you start work on the actual building work. No point getting that too early as it has a time limit and you have to pay to extend it if you are getting close to it expiring.

Good to hear its relatively quick!

Sorry I dont think I have had enough coffee today ? - I thought you meant there was another application to state you have starting the actual building - we have our building warrant in place now, we are just trying to extend our planning permission for mortgage reasons as they wont entertain us without at least a year on the PP or the development has to be 'started'.

So all you need to do is inform the council planning department that you are "starting" the development and ask them for that comfort letter that they acknowledge the development has started and forward that to the building society. Then everyone should be happy.

• Like 1