Demolish and build, not renovation

DNelms

We recently had an offer accepted on a property for renovation.  Following a structural engineer survey it is apparent that the house must be demolished as it is unsafe in places and poorly built pretty much elsewhere. While looking for resources online I found BuildHub and an looking forward to finding out whether the project is going to be cost viable. 

We are in the same situation.

Bought a 1920s bungalow with intention of renovating and extending. After we got it and took a closer look, was apparent that renovation would be extensive and expensive. Basically, we'd be stripping the house right back to 4 bare walls. 

Costs were coming in around £150k before VAT... And even at that it wouldn't be what we want.

So we're now demolishing and building a new house. Ultimately, it will cost more at £200k but the finished product will be far superior, larger, warmer than anything we could have achieved through renovation. so is much better value for money. Planning has been tediously slow tho...

Best of luck.

I’ve recently completed a refurb Plastering tiling and render For a couple downsizing to a large four bed extended bungalow

They had the same dilemma

But with a fixed price from a very good local builder decided to extend and refurb But with extras the cost has finished up higher than anticipated

They now have beautiful home 

But are not happy with the layout that is full of compromises

and wish that they had demolished

It  may be worth the extra to you 

Its all about the location 

It’s obviously great to renovate a beautiful old property, I’m assuming it is attractive otherwise you wouldn’t have bought it.  I’m also assuming you don’t have a bottomless pit of money otherwise your preference would have been to renovate at all costs.  Thing is with a new build is you have a much better idea of cost/budget as there are less variables than with a big renovation involving structural work -I’m sure you realise.  Even allowing for demo costs it sounds like it would be cheaper to new build plus you are building something with modern technology, future proof etc.

I bought a cottage that required serious and structural renovation, I’d have had to take it back to four walls.  Rebuild was far more sensible assuming I could get planning permission, which I did.  What I’m doing though is building something, though modern, with a nod to what was there in terms of using similar material, footprint, roof pitches etc.  Also using existing stone from old building.  So though brand new and certainly not a copy, it is as respectful as it can be to what was there before.

Dont forget when thinking new build you don’t have to build something bland eg what some of the big house builders produce. You can build something really special and beautiful.

Recently I have spoken to two neighbours who renovated.  They both said they would have rebuilt if doing it all again.

Also new builds are VAT exempt.  Costs wise it will depend on what and how you want to build it eg turn key or literal self build.  That will depend on your circumstances eg family and budget.

good luck !

Edited by Bozza

5 minutes ago, Bozza said:

It’s obviously great to renovate a beautiful old property

5 minutes ago, Bozza said:

Recently I have spoken to two neighbours who renovated.  They both said they would have rebuilt if doing it all again.

I am in the same situation...... but with three ongoing renovations..... had I known then (6 years ago) what I know now I would have definitely of levelled the whole bloody  lot and started from scratch one building at a time. It’s hard to find the positives in my decision but when it’s all done I will have three very traditional looking but unique  buildings that fit perfectly into there environment..... but I still wish I had a time machine! 

We started planning a remodel but realised too many compromises so switched to a rebuild which as mentioned above has the VAT advantage, less compromises (at least our choices not imposed by building) and ultimately despite costing more will be a higher value house so ultimately a better value approach.