Grand Designs

nod

Mrs NSS and I caught up with this episode at the weekend. When it had finished she said, "we are so lucky". "In what way?" I asked.

"That we didn't have to borrow for our build" she replied.

"That's because we didn't have the ego of the guy in this episode" I said.

• Haha 2

During that episode, they often cut to video of the wife looking miserable.

That may have been post editing license.

I also suspect that the things she initially liked about her alpha male husband, vanished when it all went wrong.

And who knows, she may have met someone else and the sparks just flew.

Or he may have.

Everyone suggests to me I should of gone on grand design . Can you imagine . Firstly you don’t get paid . Secondly kevin CockCloud saying “ but will it leak “ , “ when will it be finished “ etc. Etc. Just before every commercial break - would hiss me off massively. 

15 hours ago, pocster said:

Secondly kevin CockCloud saying “ but will it leak “ , “ when will it be finished “ etc. Etc. Just before every commercial break - would hiss me off massively. 

You need some more baseball history. Would be wonderful so see an entire Grand Designs episode where all the Kevin McLoud questions were answered strictly with Yogi Berra quotes.

But will it leak?

"You can observe a lot by just watching."

When will it be finished?

"It ain't over till it's over."

Is it on schedule?

The future ain't what it used to be.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

You need some more baseball history. Would be wonderful so see an entire Grand Designs episode where all the Kevin McLoud questions were answered strictly with Yogi Berra quotes.

But will it leak?

"You can observe a lot by just watching."

When will it be finished?

"It ain't over till it's over."

Is it on schedule?

The future ain't what it used to be.

yogi bear quotes would be far better? 'because ime smarter than the average self builder', 'ime so smart it hurts', 'let's go go go'

• Haha 2

Watched both the water reservoir project and the clifftpop lighthouse one tonight. Thought the reservoir one was fantastic - great idea, great design, great home delivering fantastic family living at great value for money. Felt a bit for the guy with the lighthouse - part unfortunate victim of circumstance (and bad professional advice), part pigheaded. You'd have thought he could have afforded a QS from his 250 grand in fees though. 

On 10/10/2019 at 15:37, AliG said:

1. Apparently he borrowed £2.5m from small investors in Funding Circle in 2016 to progress the build and  according to commenters has defaulted on this. I have not found any more information on this, but it seems strange to lend this without security.

Edit:

So I found someone on Funding Circle saying that they have so far invested £3m and have not seen a penny back yet, property development loans do not amortise, they are interest only until the development is sold or refinanced, although apparently the normal term is 12 months. I do not believe it has defaulted and I suspect that it is secured on the property. Funding Circle were projecting a 30% return from the project, but are reviewing this. If this is true and the house was to eventually be finished the owner will have paid out I reckon over £1.5m in interest. Funnily enough Funding Circle stopped doing property development loans last year and no longer publish their default rates.

Interesting post AliG,

the owner said in the episode that he borrows money from "a hedge fund", so you think that it was Funding Circle in reality? 

I’m not sure I just picked this up from comments made on the story in newspapers.

He may have refinanced with Funding Circle or it may have been them all along. Certainly it would be a pretty small and unusual investment for a hedge fund.

Just had my weekly peek on zoopla and found this one here :

6bbc8cf4d5dcc8ad1736ac9d81c0cc5082b757ea

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/52820763?utm_source=v1:5bWFDybfWx7C7AGpeagt7mP3PgcqjuqJ&utm_medium=api

Not sure if I remember correctly but I think it was on one of the "hand out the blanque cheque" property programmes.

Edited by Patrick

27 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Just had my weekly peek on zoopla and found this one here :

6bbc8cf4d5dcc8ad1736ac9d81c0cc5082b757ea

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/52820763?utm_source=v1:5bWFDybfWx7C7AGpeagt7mP3PgcqjuqJ&utm_medium=api

Not sure if I remember correctly but I think it was on one of the "hand out the blanque cheque" property programmes.

That looks like the GD couple who did the folly on return from London, but I will not be trying to track it down.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

Oh I would like to see the BuildHub version of it. I wonder if it includes pregnancy too. 

Don't get me started... *turns around and continues to soothe 3 month old*

• Like 1
  • Haha 2