Straight stairs inspiration - Show me your stairs

I really like the open appearance and glass on the design of these stairs (though not the white and white oak, I'd probably prefer it in black and oak).

Our architects are currently working on building regulation plans and have sent me through what they have so far (I swear we have the slowest architects ever, at least 5 weeks since we had the decision re planning or perhaps I'm just being impatient!) We have straight stairs and I'm looking for some inspiration....

But then they have put this:

Timber stairs to comply 
with BS585 and with Part K of the Building Regulations. Max rise 220mm, min going 220mm. Two risers 
plus one going should be between 550 and 700mm. Tapered treads to have going in centre of tread  at least the same as the going on the straight. Min 50mm going of tapered treads measured at narrow end. Pitch not to exceed 42 degrees. The width and length of every landing should be at least as great 
as the smallest width of the flight. Doors which swing across a landing at the bottom of a flight should leave a clear space of at least 400mm across the full width of the flight. Min 2.0m headroom measured vertically above pitch line of stairs and landings. Handrail on staircase to be 900mm above the 
pitchline, handrail to be at least one side if stairs are less than 1m wide and on both sides if they are wider. Ensure a clear width between handrails of minimum 600mm. Balustrading designed to be unclimbable and should contain no space through which a 100mm sphere could pass.

Does this mean we have to have a handrail and couldn't have a design like the one below?

Screenshot_20190809-125257.thumb.png.9572aebe2e2cf17ed48afca2815828e9.png

archer-1a.jpg

Screenshot_20190809-125206.png

Edited by canalsiderenovation

For a wonderful selection of non-compliant stairs, all you need to do is look at the average Grand Designs episode.

Across the UK, you can hear the chorus of outraged BuildHubbers  every episode :

"Those bloody stairs aren't compliant" followed a few seconds later by

"Thats a good idea - shall we do that dwahling - wodja fink ?" 

Tripped and almost fell down my temporary stairs the other day. Ours will be over-compliant.

1 hour ago, the_r_sole said:

you will find hundreds and hundreds of nice photos of stairs which don't comply with building regulations, a lot of people fit handrails to get their completion signed off then do what they want afterwards, but the photo you've shown is probably a nice thing to look at but terrible to use, I'd always want a handrail at one side of the stair for comfort, becomes more important the older you get too - I'd also be very wary to put a stair in at the maximum pitch allowed by the regs if you can avoid it

I wish places would only put pictures of stairs that comply with building regs, I'm getting unrealistic expectations!

The other half doesn't like those ones now so stair design continues ?

Edited by canalsiderenovation

Just now, j_s said:

Keep it simple? Oak handrail and posts with glass ?

On that pic I like couldn't you just have a handrail on the wall - but not on the other side and just have glass on the other side? 

Other half says people would still grab onto the glass. My argument is as it's only our room and the gym upstairs it would only be us going upstairs!

30 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Had a spiral staircase in the last house. It was a nightmare! I'm actually quite pleased it's straight stairs but just can't see anything that jumps out at me... 

I'm amazed the one on the tree house worked out so well. 

We have 10mm glass panels on our stairs, with a simple oak handrail above.  I find the handrail essential, and out of preference would like it to be on the side of my dominant hand when descending the stairs.  When coming down stairs half-asleep in the morning I very much rely on the handrail to make sure I don't fall if I miss a step.  It's happened a few times now, enough to convince me that a handrail is essential.

18 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

We have 10mm glass panels on our stairs, with a simple oak handrail above.  I find the handrail essential, and out of preference would like it to be on the side of my dominant hand when descending the stairs.  When coming down stairs half-asleep in the morning I very much rely on the handrail to make sure I don't fall if I miss a step.  It's happened a few times now, enough to convince me that a handrail is essential.

If we went for similar to the design above the handrail would be on the wall so descending would be on the side of my dominant (right) hand - good point though!