Liquid coating

Russell griffiths

Can anybody recommend a liquid applied roofing membrane, the type that you add a mesh or a matting to for strength. 

I would like something that you sort of roller apply, then lay matting to and then roller again. 

This is for a porch  roof with very minimal fall, outside the house so cold roof, substrate either ply or osb. 

Cheers russ. 

Sounds a good candidate for GRP.  GRP is a lot easier to apply to a small roof, will last decades if applied properly and it's easy to get all the stuff needed, together with advice on how to use it.  CFS (note: I've a relation that used to work there) are a good source: https://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/CFS_Catalogue__FLAT_ROOFING_21.html

The only word of caution (apart from the need to ensure that everything is kept dry) is that the resin will attack EPS, so keep it clear of the  un-rendered/clad ICF structure.  It's no worse that the gun cleaner used for cleaning foam guns in this respect, though, so just needs using with a bit of caution.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Can anybody recommend a liquid applied roofing membrane, the type that you add a mesh or a matting to for strength. 

I would like something that you sort of roller apply, then lay matting to and then roller again. 

This is for a porch  roof with very minimal fall, outside the house so cold roof, substrate either ply or osb. 

Cheers russ. 

buy correct resin coated  T+G roofing board ==not std osb

Edited by scottishjohn

Did someone put up a link to some polyurethane resin that is for roofs.  It may have been been for repairs, but could see no reason why it could not be used with glass fibre mat.  May ve to use a powder bound mat rather and a emulsion one.  Less itching from powder bound, but messier to use.

I wanted to avoid GRP if I could, I did my old kitchen roof in it and it worked brilliantly and is very robust, however it is very weather dependent and also time restricted, I was running about like a blue arse fly keeping it all together at the same time. 

So so looking for a product that is not so finicky. 

depends on what sor of finish you want but i have used sovereign k10 quite a lot, mainly for temporary repairs but have used it in quite a few places where there is an weird shape thats a small area, i have also used it on large areas on top of old roofing felt and a couple of places for the complete (small) roofs https://www.sovchem.co.uk/flexi-acryclic-k10

• 2 months later...

The  best I have come across is the flexitec 2020 system. You can Get from here, [direct advertising link removed]

Really easy to apply, Powder Hardener and the resin is the same for top and base coat, theres a calculator on that website aswell to work it all out for you.

Edited by JSHarris
Removed direct advertising link

its still a type of  grp resin system --so everything needs to be dry- it says so in  the tech data +application  section-- they even tell you do a test with a meter of some sort  -to make sure its dry -

-don,t see any advantage over simple grp roofing resin + cloth ##

how quick the std grp roofing resin goes off is up to you -by amount of catalyist you add .

Edited by scottishjohn