New House with 4 self contained Minimalist Apartments

6 minutes ago, mafaldina said:

remember this

Vaguely.  I found Penryn campus a bit of a rip off all over.  Was not a happy time in my life down in the Geography department.

They charged extra to put butter in a bacon sandwich.

Edited by SteamyTea

12 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I found Penryn campus a bit of a rip off

Quite agree, I'm based on the Woodlane (Falmouth Campus), they also charge for mustard and sauce, but not butter. Have you seen the new Geography building at Tremough (I cannot bring myself to call it Penryn) campus, it's a very good imitation for a 1960s municipal car park when viewed from the entrance to the Exchange (library), complete with sludge green external staircase.

1 minute ago, mafaldina said:

Have you seen the new Geography building at Tremough (I cannot bring myself to call it Penryn) campus

No, was there a decade ago doing my Masters, then it was a miserable building down the arse end, as far from the car park (they charged) as possible.

I have been to the 'innovation centre' should be called 'hopeless dreamers'.

Is the Falmouth one where the art goes on?

Steamy, there is art and design on both campuses plus games design & programming, business & entrepreneurship, photography, music and drama at Tremough and architecture, journalism and writing at Falmouth. Falmouth University owns both sites and, effectively, leases space out to Exeter at Tremough, although it is a rather more complicated agreement. FU (they were aware of the connotation of the initials when they named it, unlike Coventry University of New Technology who decided to change the name when it was pointed out to them and after the ident and signs had been designed and made) senior management are luckily based at Tremough in the AIR building which suits those of us who are based in Falmouth.

On 10/08/2019 at 09:27, SteamyTea said:

Does that mean getting rid of a cooker and fridge, eating out every day instead.

Using a launderette is just horrible, I have often thought they could be improved, and incorporated into cafes.

Where do you put the eBike in a small flat.

I did minimal living when I was a young student, probably the biggest single thing I had to move was my stereo.

No, I shall stick by my statement that we need to build bigger places.

Building smaller places does not reduce price, that is set my how much people can borrow.

If people could swap excess assets for 'experiences', that would cause a lot of environmental damage from the extra transport alone.  That is before the extra consumerism.

"Building smaller places does not reduce price, that is set my how much people can borrow."  I have to strongly disagree with this statement. House prices are a function of supply & demand, location, space (not just floor area) and F&F.

7 hours ago, Adrian Walker said:

"Building smaller places does not reduce price, that is set my how much people can borrow."  I have to strongly disagree with this statement. House prices are a function of supply & demand, location, space (not just floor area) and F&F.

Agree with Adrian on that.

Remember all the people stranded in Studio flats in London in the last recession but one when the prices of one-beds went below what they had paid, so all the first timers went for one-beds? 

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

13 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Remember all the people stranded in Studio flats in London in the last recession but one when the prices of one-beds went below what they had paid, so all the first timers went for one-beds? 

So does that not show that it is the amount that can be borrowed is setting the price, rather than the build cost?

10 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

So does that not show that it is the amount that can be borrowed is setting the price, rather than the build cost?

I would say it shows that where there are 2 options - studio or 1 bed - at the same price, they go for the one bed.

To me that is market setting the price.

F

Edited by Ferdinand